North Korea to deploy ‘new’ weapons on border with South Korea
A North Korean flag flutters at the propaganda village of Gijungdong in North Korea, in this picture taken near the truce village of Panmunjom inside the demilitarized zone (DMZ) separating the two Koreas, South Korea, February 7, 2023.
Audio By Vocalize
North
Korea said Thursday it will deploy new military hardware along the military
demarcation line that separates it from the South after Seoul partially pulled
back from a 2018 agreement designed to ease tensions along the border,
state-run media reported.
North Korea acted after Seoul vowed to increase its intelligence
and surveillance along the demilitarized zone (DMZ) in response to the launch
of North Korea’s first-ever spy satellite on Tuesday, which
analysts said could give Pyongyang information to better target opponents’
forces.
The reactive move by Seoul represents a partial retreat from
the Inter-Korean
Military Agreement, which was signed in 2018 as part of efforts
with the US to contain the threat of war on the Korean Peninsula – and broaden
the buffer zone between the two Koreas.
It
was signed by then-South Korean President Moon Jae-in and North Korean leader
Kim Jong Un in Panmunjom on the border, with the text declaring “there will be
no more war on the Korean Peninsula and thus a new era of peace has begun.”
But any goodwill generated by the agreement has evaporated in
recent years. Kim, who did not get the concessions he wanted from the US and
South Korea during subsequent talks, has since ramped up the North’s ballistic
missile program, pledging to give Pyongyang a nuclear deterrent like that
possessed by Washington.
In response to the North Korean buildup, the US and South Korea –
along with Japan – have stepped-up their military cooperation via
exercises and deployments that Pyongyang sees as a threat.
Earlier this week North Korea denounced the US for its
potential sales of advanced missiles to Japan and military equipment to
South Korea, calling it “a dangerous act” in a report from KCNA.
North Korea said it was “obvious” who the offensive
military equipment would be aimed at and used against.
On Thursday North Korea’s Defense Ministry said that its army will
“never be bound” by the military agreement, vowing to deploy “more powerful
armed forces and new-type military hardware in the region along the Military
Demarcation Line,” according to KCNA.
It claimed that the agreement has “long been reduced to a mere
scrap of paper owing to the intentional and provocative moves” of South Korea,
and warned that it must “pay dearly” for its “irresponsible and grave political
and military provocations that have pushed the present situation to an
uncontrollable phase,” KCNA said.
Pyongyang also said that South Korea will be held “wholly
accountable” for clashes that may break out between the two Koreas.
“The most dangerous situation in the area of the military
demarcation line, where the world’s most acute military confrontation lingers
and any slight accidental factor may aggravate an armed conflict to an all-out
war, has become irreversibly uncontrollable, due to the serious mistake made by
the political and military gangsters of the ‘ROK [Republic of Korea],’” KCNA
said.

Join the Discussion
Share your perspective with the Citizen Digital community.
No comments yet
This discussion is waiting for your voice. Be the first to share your thoughts!