Riot hits DR Congo hospital as Ebola response angers victims' families
Medical staff wearing personal protective equipment (PPE) carry a patient on a stretcher at the hospital in Rwampara on May 21, 2026. Photo by SEROS MUYISA / AFP
Audio By Vocalize
Rioters have burnt down hospital tents in a hotspot of the
Democratic Republic of Congo's Ebola epidemic, as many Congolese wrestle with
fear, anger and confusion over the latest deadly outbreak.
The hastily arranged burials of the victims suspected to
have been killed by the viral haemorrhagic fever have been met with suspicion
in a conflict-ridden part of the country already distrustful of the state.
With tensions running high, the military has been deployed
to provide security for funerals.
Tents used to isolate Ebola patients at Rwampara hospital,
in the northeastern Ituri province at the outbreak's epicentre, were torched in
the riot on Thursday, which ended swiftly after the army stepped in. Only the
tents' charred husks remain.
"It all kicked off when a 24-year-old man, the son of a
soldier, died at the hospital," an official at the medical institution
said.
"The family wanted us to hand over his body so that
they can bury him, but given the circumstances, that's impossible," the
official added.
Besides being extremely deadly, Ebola is transmitted through
prolonged physical contact and bodily fluids.
There is no vaccine or treatment for the Bundibugyo strain
responsible for the 17th Ebola outbreak to hit the vast central African
country, which the World Health Organization believes has already killed more
than 177 people.
So attempts to tackle the latest spread have been forced to
rely mainly on precautions and rapid contact tracing.
But in rural parts of the DRC, "loved ones are throwing
themselves at the bodies, touching the corpses and the clothes of the deceased,
while organising mourning rituals bringing together loads of people," said
Jean Marie Ezadri, a civil society leader in Ituri.
"Unfortunately, this is going on even during this
epidemic, which explains the many instances of contamination."
After the riot at Rwampara hospital, families nervously
awaited the burials of three patients suspected to have died of the virus --
though some questioned its existence.
"My brother is not dead from Ebola, it's an imaginary
disease," said 22-year-old Jeremie Arwampara.
"Why are they refusing to give us the bodies? He's my
big brother, I cannot be afraid of him," yelled Ezekiel Shambuyi.
The unruly rabble dispersed after the soldiers on guard
around the hospital fired warning shots. A nurse was wounded by stones thrown.
Within the shelter of the hospital's walls, healthcare
workers prepared for the burials, slipping into full protective gear.
Finally, they emerged carrying three black-and-white
caskets, placed on a three-wheeled cart.
In one lay the father of Musa Amuri, who came to bid his dad
a rushed goodbye.
"They're going to bury our father without us seeing
him, it breaks my heart," the young man said.
The funeral procession set off to Rwampara cemetery,
escorted by three jeeps full of soldiers and police.
Infamous for their indiscipline, Congolese security forces
have been accused in past Ebola outbreaks of fanning distrust towards medics.
Even some of the Rwampara rioters were themselves soldiers,
close to one of the victims, who threatened the healthcare workers, according
to a hospital source.
Dusk fell over Rwampara's surrounding green hills as the
burial began at the cemetery away from the town.
After being sprayed with disinfectant, the coffins were
quickly lowered into the earth by faceless men clad in full hazmat suits.
Loved ones who came to witness the ceremony burst into
tears. One struck up a dirge in a faint voice, while a pastor recited several
verses from the Bible.
Among the funeral crowd, Maman Leonie refused to believe
that her brother had been killed by Ebola.
"He was just sick, let the government come to our
aid!" she pleaded.
State services in rural areas of Ituri have been largely
absent for decades.
And its inhabitants, already prey to the repeated massacres
committed by the restive province's rash of armed groups, are increasingly
blaming the Congolese government for the slow response to the outbreak.
Over the past few days in the town of Mongbwalu, "the
population has understood the scale of the situation and now knows that bodies
must not be touched," a hospital official said.
But they fretted about the fact that "isolation and
triage areas have still not been set up".
"Suspected cases are mixed in with other patients in
the hospital wards, with a high risk of infection."

Join the Discussion
Share your perspective with the Citizen Digital community.
No comments yet
This discussion is waiting for your voice. Be the first to share your thoughts!