Matatu operators end nationwide strike after talks with Ruto

Joseph Muia
By Joseph Muia May 22, 2026 11:29 (EAT)
Add as a Preferred Source on Google
Matatu operators end nationwide strike after talks with Ruto

Matatu Owners Association (MOA) Chairperson Albert Karakacha addresses the press at State House, Mombasa, on May 22, 2026. PHOTO | PCS

Vocalize Pre-Player Loader

Audio By Vocalize

Public transport operators have called off their nationwide strike following talks with President William Ruto at State House in Mombasa on Friday.

The strike had on Tuesday afternoon been suspended for seven days to pave way for negotiations with the government.

The Federation of Public Transport Sector (FPTS) Chairperson Edwins Mukabanah has now however announced the decision to fully call off the strike, saying operators had resolved to prioritise economic stability as he urged all stakeholders to comply.

“I want to announce to all members that after these new deliberations we have had with the President, the strike that we had suspended has been called off fully and we are hoping that this will take immediate effect and the entire country will understand that there is an economy to save,” Mukabanah said.

The FPTS boss commended the Head of State for committing to address challenges facing the sector, expressing confidence in the promises given by Ruto.

“We’re looking up to the President to ensure that he drives the agenda of public transport. We have been promised a lot of things, including electric motor vehicles. We also thank you for your statement on auctioneering and insurance, which is fantastic for us. Wananchi, please bear with us, the economy comes first,” he added.

Matatu Owners Association (MOA) chairperson Albert Karakacha confirmed that the strike had been fully called off and urged all stakeholders to resume work.

“As the transport sector, we are happy with what you have come up with and we will support the government. We have called off the strike; we had suspended the strike but we have called it off. We will not have a strike next week; we are going to work,” said Karakacha.

Kushian Muchiri, the chairperson of the Association of Matatu Transport Owners (AMTO), on his part apologised for the disruption caused during the industrial action, saying criminal elements and political interests had infiltrated the protests.

“We apologise for the time we went on strike, because we said stay at home, but goons infiltrated and some political interests came in, people lost property…” said Muchiri.

“We thank you because we have moved on as an industry. Buses have been waived to go to weigh bridges and hope that in the next cycle we will get better than the Ksh.10.”

The announcement came shortly after President Ruto, speaking at the same press conference, announced a further reduction in diesel prices beginning the June/July fuel pricing cycle, as the government moves to cushion Kenyans from the effects of the global fuel crisis.

The President said the government will lower the price ofdiesel by Ksh.10 per litre following consultations with leaders in the transport sector.

He noted that the move is aimed at stabilizing pump prices and easing pressure on consumers grappling with the rising cost of living.

The Head of State also defended his administration’s handling of the fuel crisis, insisting that the challenge was global and not unique to Kenya.

He accused political opponents of exploiting the suffering of Kenyans for political gain instead of offering practical solutions.

“I know there are those who are trying to turn this global crisis into politics. People seeking to exploit public pain for political gain, making reckless claims and pretending there are easy options,” said Ruto.

“But leadership requires honesty, not political opportunism or playing populist politics.”

Join the Discussion

Share your perspective with the Citizen Digital community.

Moderation applies

Sign In to Publish

No comments yet

This discussion is waiting for your voice. Be the first to share your thoughts!