Depay takes pay cut to stay at Corinthians
Corinthians' Dutch forward #07 Memphis Depay reacts after Racing's Uruguayan defender #15 Gaston Martirena scored his team's second goal during the Copa Sudamericana semi-final first leg football match between Brazil's Corinthians and Argentina's Racing at the Neo Quimica Arena stadium in Sao Paulo, Brazil, on October 24, 2024. After months of negotiations, Brazil's Corinthians announced on August 12, 2026, that it had decided, for financial reasons, not to renew the contract of Dutch international Memphis Depay, which expired on July 31.
Audio By Vocalize
Last week, the Sao Paulo club announced they would not renew Depay, who is the Netherlands' all-time top scorer with 55 goals, for cost reasons.
"I'm very, very happy. I can't wait to be back at work and we have a lot of things to fight for," the former Barcelona and Manchester United striker said in a video shared by Corinthians.
Corinthians president Osmar Stabile said that Depay, 32, had renewed his deal after accepting a pay cut that ended a public feud with the club.
"It was a long negotiation but it concluded in the best way possible for Corinthians and for Memphis, whom I thank very much for all his efforts to remain," Stabile said.
Brazilian media said he would be paid around $25 million for the additional two years.
The reports said the figure includes money owed to Depay from his initial contract as well as image rights but does not include performance bonuses.
Depay has scored 20 goals in 79 games since joining Corinthians in September 2024.

Join the Discussion
Share your perspective with the Citizen Digital community.
No comments yet
This discussion is waiting for your voice. Be the first to share your thoughts!