WHO raises cross-border alert after Uganda confirms three new Ebola cases
Audio By Vocalize
Neighbouring Uganda has confirmed three new Ebola cases, bringing the total number of infections to five, just 24 hours after the World Health Organisation (WHO) warned of a rapid spread of the deadly virus that has claimed hundreds of lives in the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC).
The new cases in Uganda involve two Ugandans, a healthcare
worker and a driver who had contact with the first confirmed patient, as well
as a Congolese national who recently travelled into the country.
WHO has now revised its
disease risk assessment amid growing fears of cross-border transmission.
The male driver is said to have transported a patient who became the country’s first confirmed Ebola case, and a female health worker who treated him.
The third case is a Congolese woman who travelled to Uganda aboard a chartered flight, where she sought treatment at a private hospital in Kampala on May 10, 2026.
According to Ugandan health officials, the Congolese patient
was discharged on May 14, 2026, but was later traced and tested, confirming
infection.
The latest development comes amid mounting concern over the spread of the Bundibugyo strain of Ebola in eastern DRC, where more than 177 suspected deaths and nearly 750 suspected cases have been reported.
The World Health Organisation has since revised its risk
assessment, raising the threat level to “very high” at the national level and
“high” at the regional level, while maintaining that the global risk remains
low.
WHO Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus says
transmission within the DRC is spreading rapidly, raising concern among health
authorities.
“So far, 82 cases have been confirmed in DRC with seven confirmed deaths, but
we know the epidemic in DRC is larger. There are almost 750 suspected cases and
almost 177 suspected deaths," said
WHO says it is working with the Africa Centres for Disease Control and Prevention (Africa CDC) and other partners to contain the outbreak, support affected people and bolster a coordinated response.
“In addition to our staff in DRC, we have deployed 22 international staff to
the field, including some of our most experienced people. And we have released
3.9 million US dollars from the Contingency Fund for Emergencies," he added.
The development has prompted Kenya’s Ministry of Health to step up surveillance measures.
The ministry has classified 22 counties into four risk tiers: very high risk, high risk, medium risk and low risk counties.
Among the high-risk counties are Nairobi, Mombasa, Uasin
Gishu, Busia, Kisumu, Bungoma, Trans Nzoia, Siaya and West Pokot.
Other counties listed as high risk include Vihiga, Kakamega, Nakuru, Kericho, Nandi, Kiambu, Machakos, Makueni, Kilifi, Turkana and Isiolo.
Unlike the more common Zaire strain, the Bundibugyo virus
has no approved vaccines or specific treatment.
However, scientists at Oxford University are currently
developing a new vaccine that could enter clinical trials within two to three
months, as global health authorities race to identify medical options to help
contain the outbreak.

Join the Discussion
Share your perspective with the Citizen Digital community.
No comments yet
This discussion is waiting for your voice. Be the first to share your thoughts!