Tourists killed in South Africa national park

Citizen Reporter
By Citizen Reporter May 24, 2026 08:45 (EAT)
Add as a Preferred Source on Google
Tourists killed in South Africa national park
Vocalize Pre-Player Loader

Audio By Vocalize

Security was tightened in South Africa's Kruger National Park nature reserve after two tourists were found killed there, authorities said on Sunday.

The two South African victims, a 71-year-old man and a woman whose age was not disclosed, failed to return to their lodge on Wednesday evening, prompting a search operation.

Other tourists eventually found them in a river on Friday afternoon. Police said the man had stab wounds and the woman's body was bruised. Their vehicle was missing.

SANParks said it was "deploying additional monitoring and ranger resources in specific areas of concern" in response.

It added that it was "enhancing technology systems to strengthen surveillance and early warning capabilities".

It said it was the first time in the park's 100-year history that visitors had been killed there.

Kruger Park, in the north-east of the country, is South Africa's biggest national park, covering 20,000 square kilometres (7,700 square miles). It shares more than 370 kilometres of border with Zimbabwe and Mozambique.

Join the Discussion

Share your perspective with the Citizen Digital community.

Moderation applies

Sign In to Publish

No comments yet

This discussion is waiting for your voice. Be the first to share your thoughts!