Senior FIFA official withdraws support from embattled Infantino
FIFA President Gianni Infantino gestures during his visit to the new Concentration Hotel of the Colombian Football Federation in Barranquilla, Colombia, on February 24, 2026. FIFA president Gianni Infantino came under renewed fire on August 10, 2026 as a joint letter from three confederations -- UEFA, CONCACAF and AFC -- declared football "belongs to no individual".
Audio By Vocalize
Frenchman Lamour's position as chief operating officer had become untenable after he broke ranks with senior FIFA directors last month and issued a scathing statement criticising Infantino over his now-scrapped plan to allow private investment in World Cups.
In a letter seen by AFP on Wednesday, FIFA vice-president and council member Sandor Csanyi of Hungary said Infantino has "lost the confidence I previously placed in you".
"My conviction that you are capable of continuing to lead FIFA successfully and effectively in accordance with the shared values that previously formed the basis of our cooperation has been undermined," Csanyi, a billionaire businessman and banker and head of the Hungarian Football Federation (MLSZ), said in the letter sent to Infantino on Tuesday.
The letter cited "a number of controversial decisions" around this year's World Cup, including information that Infantino had been working "on plans to outsource FIFA competitions and place them in the hands of external parties".
"The final straw was the unexpected dismissal of Kevin Lamour," it said, adding it "points to serious shortcomings in professional judgement, ethical standards and leadership".
On Tuesday, European football body UEFA vice-president Laura McAllister said FIFA's dismissal of Lamour sent a "deeply troubling message to all of us seeking change".

Join the Discussion
Share your perspective with the Citizen Digital community.
No comments yet
This discussion is waiting for your voice. Be the first to share your thoughts!