Nairobi Central OCS hospitalised after arrest for releasing 64 protest suspects

Joseph Muia
By Joseph Muia May 19, 2026 04:52 (EAT)
Add as a Preferred Source on Google
Nairobi Central OCS hospitalised after arrest for releasing 64 protest suspects

Nairobi Central Police Station OCS Dishon Angoya is seen seated on the hospital bed. PHOTO | COURTESY| BONIFACE MWANGI

Vocalize Pre-Player Loader

Audio By Vocalize

Nairobi Central Police Station OCS Chief Inspector Dishon Angoya has been admitted to the Lang’ata Hospital after reportedly developing complications following his arrest over the release of 64 suspects detained during Monday’s protests.

Angoya, who is accused of abuse of office, was arrested by the Deputy Regional Police Commander over claims that he unlawfully released the suspects without proper authority during the nationwide transport sector strike.

Following his hospitalisation, youths camped outside Lang’ata Hospital in solidarity with the OCS, demanding proof of his condition and treatment amid high police presence.

Photos shared online by lawyer Eric Muriuki showed Angoya seated on a hospital bed while recuperating, alongside other advocates.

“Proof of life. We have seen OCS Dishon Angoya, he is under medical care and recuperating well. He has been placed under heavy security but equally Kenyans have camped outside Langata Hospital,” Muriuki posted on X.

“Releasing petty offenders, especially when there is no evidence to charge them is within the mandate and powers of an OCS. Dishon followed the law. He also consulted his superiors before releasing the 48 mostly young people who had been picked up at different locations within the city. Some of them were not even protesting.”

The advocate further claimed that the officer was confident he had acted lawfully and appreciated the support from Kenyans.

Former Law Society of Kenya (LSK) President Faith Odhiambo noted that a team of lawyers, among them Muriuki, will represent Angoya when he is arraigned in court.

“A team of Advocates including Gloria Kimani and Eric Muriuki have been following up on the arrest and detention of Nairobi Central Police Station OCS, Chief Inspector Dishen Angoya. The team has ascertained that he is still under arrest but is recovering steadily after seeking medical attention,” said Ms. Odhiambo on X.

“All clarifications on the circumstances leading to his arrest have been recorded in his statement and we anticipate this matter will soon be resolved to its logical and just conclusion. We await his arraignment in Court and will ensure he is properly represented.”

Outside the hospital, youths maintained that they had gathered to check on the OCS after his arrest, as they urged police officers to be mindful of protesters.

“I want to tell all men in uniform that you are also human beings, have humanity and don’t let yourself be used. We as youths don’t have an issue. He (Angoya) saw that youths were going on their business and decided that there is no need for them to remain in jail when they are innocent and he let them go," said one of the protesters, identified as Mohamed.

According to a police occurrence book (OB) report filed at Lang’ata Police Station, Angoya was arrested on Tuesday at around 12pm by the Deputy Regional Police Commander for alleged abuse of office.

Police said his decision to release the 64 suspects “without lawful authority” amounted to improperly conferring a benefit on himself.

His arrest sparked sharp reactions from civil society groups, lawyers and youths who gathered outside Lang’ata Hospital demanding his unconditional release.

The Police Reforms Working Group and the LSK termed the arrest unlawful, arguing that Angoya acted within the law by releasing the protesters on police bond.

In a joint statement, the two bodies called for the “unconditional release of Nairobi Central OCS Dishen Angoya and all other arrested persons, unless they are lawfully charged based on credible evidence.”

The lobby groups further stated that reports indicating the arrest was carried out “on orders from above” had heightened concerns over politicised policing and abuse of command structures within the National Police Service (NPS).

They also criticised attempts to charge transport industry spokespersons with economic sabotage, terming the move “an abuse of office,” while urging the Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP) to independently and fairly exercise prosecutorial powers.

The LSK also called on the Independent Policing Oversight Authority (IPOA) to investigate the deaths of at least four people during Monday’s protests, alongside allegations that police officers were under pressure to prefer unlawful charges.

Join the Discussion

Share your perspective with the Citizen Digital community.

Moderation applies

Sign In to Publish

No comments yet

This discussion is waiting for your voice. Be the first to share your thoughts!