Nairobi Central OCS arrested over alleged unlawful release of 64 suspects

Roy Ouma
By Roy Ouma May 19, 2026 08:49 (EAT)
Add as a Preferred Source on Google
Nairobi Central OCS arrested over alleged unlawful release of 64 suspects
Vocalize Pre-Player Loader

Audio By Vocalize

Nairobi Central Police Station OCS Dishen Angoya has been arrested and is expected to be charged over claims that he unlawfully released 64 suspects who had been arrested in connection with public order offences.

According to a police occurrence book (OB) report filed at Lang’ata Police Station, Angoya — a chief inspector — was arrested on Tuesday at around 12.00pm by the Deputy Regional Police Commander for alleged abuse of office.

Police say the officer released the 64 suspects on Monday, May 18, 2026 “without lawful authority”, and that the action amounted to improperly conferring a benefit on himself.

The OB report indicates the suspects had been arrested for offences relating to public order.

Angoya was placed in custody at Lang’ata Police Station pending further action, with the report noting he was complaining of high blood pressure.

He is expected to be arraigned at Kibera Law Courts on Tuesday morning.

The arrest comes as police continue investigations into incidents reported during Monday’s countrywide protests and demonstrations, which were accompanied by disruptions in parts of Nairobi and other towns.

On Monday, Interior Cabinet Secretary Kipchumba Murkomen confirmed that 348 suspects were arrested as the protests turned violent due to the infiltration of alleged gangs.

Innocent motorists and members of the public were targeted, and properties worth millions were destroyed and some looted.

CS Murkomen vowed legal action against the suspects, maintaining that destruction of property should not be synonymous with protests.

"Burning of vehicles is not associated with protesters , those who burn vehicles must be called out as criminals," he said.

Likewise, 30 people were injured and four were killed.

The nationwide Public Service Vehicle (PSV) strike entered its second day on Tuesday, with transport disruptions persisting in several parts of the country as operators maintain pressure on the government over high fuel prices.

The strike, called by the Transport Sector Alliance, has seen matatus, boda boda operators and other transport players scale down or suspend services, leaving many commuters stranded and affecting businesses and school activities.

After the mounitng pressure, the government further reviewed fuel prices, seeing diesel reducing by Ksh.10.06 per litre while kerosene increased by Ksh.38.60, with super petrol remaining unchanged. 

Super petrol, diesel and kerosene will now retail at Ksh.214.25, Ksh.232.86 and Ksh.191.38 per litre, respectively, effective midnight to June 14.

The Energy and Petroleum Regulatory Authority (EPRA) had previously said that the cost of Super Petrol and Diesel will shoot up by Ksh.16.65 and Ksh.46.29 per litre, respectively, while the price of Kerosene remained unchanged.

This meant that Super Petrol, Diesel and Kerosene would retail at Ksh.214.25, Ksh.242.92 and Ksh.152.78.

Join the Discussion

Share your perspective with the Citizen Digital community.

Moderation applies

Sign In to Publish

No comments yet

This discussion is waiting for your voice. Be the first to share your thoughts!