Nairobi Central OCS Angoya released as police dismiss reports of planned arraignment
Nairobi Central Police Station OCS Dishon Angoya receiving treatment at the Lang'ata Hospital. PHOTO | COURTESY | BONIFACE MWANGI
Audio By Vocalize
Nairobi Central Police Station OCS Chief Inspector Dishon
Angoya has been released unconditionally, hours after his arrest over the
release of 64 suspects detained during Monday’s nationwide protests linked to
the transport sector strike.
The development was confirmed on Tuesday evening by lawyer
Eric Muriuki and a team of advocates who had been following up on the matter at
Lang’ata Hospital, where the officer had been admitted after reportedly
developing health complications following his arrest.
Speaking outside the hospital in the evening, Muriuki said the
legal team had secured the unconditional release of the officer after a
day-long push involving lawyers, human rights defenders and members of the
public.
“The good OCS is finally free. He has been released
unconditionally but investigations will still continue,” Muriuki posted on X
shortly after the release.
Lawyer Titus Makhanu, on his part, thanked Kenyans and the
online community for mounting pressure that he said contributed to the
officer’s release.
“Many thanks to all Kenyans who have shown solidarity. I
really thank the online community as well for the pressure that you guys have
applied. It has helped,” he said.
“After what we went through last month, we went to court and
secured the unconditional release of a good officer, a good OCS who has been
serving Kenyans diligently.”
Makhanu added: “As we speak right now, the OCS is a free man.
His family is here with him, and they are currently processing his next steps,
including deciding whether he will leave this place or continue receiving
medication.”
The lawyer maintained that Angoya should not have been
arrested in the first place, arguing that he had acted within the law.
“He was not supposed to be arrested or harassed in the first
place because all he did was follow the law. His only mistake was following the
law,” he stated.
The advocates also thanked the Law Society of Kenya (LSK) and
other institutions that supported the legal efforts to secure the officer’s
release.
“The LSK played a major role, they have consistently followed
up on this issue and offered us support throughout the process,” Makhanu said.
“I also want to thank everyone who participated in ensuring
this outcome, including my colleagues here, the advocates, human rights
defenders, Kenyans at large, and the hospital, which has cooperated fully and
continues to provide the best care possible.”
This even as the National Police Service (NPS) dismissed
reports circulating on social media alleging that the OCS of Central Police
Station had been processed for a court appearance, terming the claims as
“entirely erroneous and misleading.”
In a statement issued Tuesday evening, NPS Spokesperson
Muchiri Nyaga said the service has established internal mechanisms for handling
matters involving officers, which may result in either administrative or
disciplinary action.
“The NPS, like any disciplined service, has internal
mechanisms to address matters concerning its members. These mechanisms may
result in either administrative or disciplinary action. A court appearance does
not occur arbitrarily; a specific legal threshold must be met,” Nyaga said.
The police service further clarified that at no point had the
OCS been processed for arraignment in court.
“For the avoidance of doubt, at no time was the OCS of Central
Police Station processed for a court appearance,” the NPS Spokesperson stated,
while urging members of the public to verify information directly from official
police channels.
Angoya was earlier reported to have been arrested by the Deputy Regional Police Commander over
allegations that he unlawfully released 64 suspects who had been arrested
during Monday’s protests.
Authorities had accused the officer of abuse of office,
claiming the suspects were released without lawful authority.
His arrest sparked protests and online outrage, with youths
camping outside Lang’ata Hospital in solidarity with the officer and demanding
his release.
Earlier in the day, the Police Reforms Working Group and the LSK had called for his unconditional release, arguing that the decision to free the suspects on police bond was within the law.

Join the Discussion
Share your perspective with the Citizen Digital community.
No comments yet
This discussion is waiting for your voice. Be the first to share your thoughts!