Blomqvist returns for East African Safari
Stig Blomqvist, the 1984 World Rally Champion, is among the star drivers earmarked for the 9th edition of the East African Safari Classic Rally which starts on November 27 through to December 6.
The world rally star of the 1980s celebrated his 73rd birthday in July and is back for the historic rally in a Team Tido Race4Health Porsche 911.
Blomqvist, who also won the British Rally Championship in 1983, is yet to name his navigator for the 2019 event which will traverse picturesque stages around Kenya and Tanzania.
Belgian Stephane Prevot in car no 3 guided Blomqvist to victory in the 2015 edition of Safari Classic. But Prevot will reunite with Oman’s Joey behind the wheel of a Nissan 240RS.
Kabras Sugar Racing, Tuthill Porsche and Team Tido are, by and large, the front-runners for the title jointly held by Carl “Flash” Tundo of Kenya and Richard Jackson of Britain
The Kabras line up for 2019 Safari Classic has a three-car Porsche 911 team comprising of Baldev Chager and the Rai siblings Tejveer and Onkar.
Tuthill Porsche has the likes of Italian Gilberto Sandretto and US duo of Renée Brinkerhoff and Joe Hayes. Sandretto will be navigated by lady co-driver Fabria Pons who is returning to Kenya for the umpteenth time; having already tackled the grueling event with various drivers.
Pons is best known for her partnership with the legendary Michèle Mouton (now a safety delegate with FIA). This year’s event has attracted 26 drivers. Among them are Raaji Bhjarij and Minesh Rathod who will pilot his backyard built Colt Lancer.
The EA Safari Classic was first run in 2003. The event is a nine-day rally covering up to 5,000 kilometers through Kenya and Tanzania. Safari Classic rekindles the spirit of the original Safari Rally, which put East Africa on the motorsport map and earned an unassailable reputation as the world’s toughest rally.
Safari Classic replicates the incredible challenge of the original Safari and weaves a new adventure through the magical East African landscape, passing through world famous game parks and overnight stay at many of the finest lodges in the cradle of Africa.
2019 Safari Classic Entries so far:-
1. Philippe Gache/TBA (Mazda RX7) FRA
2. Best Whisky-Geoff Bell/Tim Challen (Datsun 260Z) RSA
3. Raaji Bharij/Rajay Sehmi (Porsche 911) KEN
4. Freestone Rally Services-Iain Freestone/TBA (Ford Escort Mk1) GBR
5. Freestone Rally Services-TBA/TBA (Ford Escort Mk1)
6. Tuthill Porsche -Gilberto Sandretto/Fabrizia Pons (Porsche 911) ITA
7. Tuthill Porsche -Renée Brinkerhoff/TBA (Porsche 356) USA
8. Tuthill Porsche -Philip Kadoorie)/TBA (Porsche 911)
9. Tuthill Porsche -Joe Hayes/Kate Hayes (Porsche 911) USA
10. Safari World Africa-Nish Lakhani/Teeku Patel (Datsun SSS 1600) KEN
11.Minti Motorsport Oman-Joey Ghose/Stéphane Prévot (Nissan 240RS) OMN
12. Minti Motorsport Oman-Scott Armstrong/Harpal Singh Sudle Datsun 160J UK
13. Minesh Rathod/TBA (Colt Lancer) KEN
14.ABE-TEC-Navraj Sagoo/Hameel Sagoo (Datsun 240Z) KEN
15. Riflex Sport-Jan Hagman/TBA (Porsche 911) SWE
16. Jayant Shah/TBA (Porsche 911) TZN
17. a-works Bernhard Kessel/Ronny Kessel (Porsche 911) GER
18. Tuthill Porsche-Kris Rosenberger/Nicola Bleicher (Porsche 911) AUT
19. Team Tido Race4Health-Stig Blomqvist)/TBA (Porsche 911) SWE
20. Team Tido Race4Health TBA/TBA (Porsche 911) SWE
21. Team Tido Race4Health-TBA/TBA (Porsche 911) SWE
22 -Team Tido Race4Health TBA/TBA (Porsche 911) SWE
23. ALS Motorsport-Aslam Khan/Farhaaz Khan (Porsche 911)KEN
24. Kabras Sugar Racing-Onkar Singh Rai /Gareth Dawe (Porsche 911) KEN
25. Kabras Sugar Racing-Tejveer Singh Rai/Gavin Laurence (Porsche 911) KEN
26. Kabras Sugar Racing-Baldev Singh Chager/Ravi Soni (Porsche 911) KEN