One killed, houses burnt down as Embu residents protest release of 7 murder suspects

One killed, houses burnt down as Embu residents protest release of 7 murder suspects

Director of Criminal Investigations (DCI) George Kinoti has launched a probe into violent protests witnessed in Embu County on Thursday where one person was killed and property of unknown value destroyed by irate protesters.

A group of angry residents went on rampage at Itumbi area and Kiamuringa Centre in Mbeere South protesting the release of seven murder suspects by the court for lack of evidence.

At Itumbi area, police say, a group of about five hundred irate members of public burnt down a rental house belonging to one of the freed suspects, Michael Gitonga Mbogo alias Mbuu before proceeding to his parent’s home where they set ablaze two houses with all household items there in and killed two goats and a cow.

The goats killed by the angry residents protesting release of murder suspects in Embu. PHOTO| COURTESY


A house belonging to the mother of one of the suspects burnt down in Embu. PHOTO| COURTESY


At the same time, another group of boda boda riders pursued another suspect, 35-year-old David Kinyua, at Kiamuringa Centre of Mbeere South and burnt him to death at Kimangaru area.

“Police from Kithimu and Itabua tried in vain to restrain further damage to property as they were targeting some sympathisers,” reads a police report on the incident.

Residents at the scene where a murder suspect was burnt to death at Kimangaru area in Mbeere South. PHOTO|COURTESY


The body of the deceased was moved to the Embu Level Five Hospital mortuary.

Meanwhile, DCI Kinoti has since asked for the court proceedings to understand circumstances under which the suspects were freed with an intention to appeal.

The released suspects had been charged with the offence of robbery with violence and later the Office of the Director of Public Prosecution (ODPP) recommended murder.

However, three of the suspects were charged with being in possession of bhang and had pleaded not guilty. They were set to be remanded at the Majimbo GK Prison Majimbo in Embu but were set free.

According to the DCI, one of the freed suspects has been re-arrested and they have applied for a warrant of arrest for the rest.