39 students hospitalized over suspected food poisoning
39 students’ from Nkubu High School are hospitalized at a Meru hospital over suspected case of food poisoning.
The students are admitted at Nkubu Consolata Mission Hospital after experiencing abdominal pains and vomiting symptoms.
The facility’s Nursing Services Manager, Nicoletta Karimi, says they received more than 60 student’s on Wednesday, March 15 afternoon where several were treated and discharged.
Meru County Director of Public Health, Ephantus Kariuki, says they have launched investigations into the matter.
Mr Kariuki said that the department has ordered water and food samples from the school be collected and analysed at a government chemist.
Imenti South police boss, John Cheruiyot, said that about 68 students had been taken to the facility on Wednesday where 31 did not require hospitalisation.
Efforts to get a word from the school administration proved futile as media was barred from accessing the institution, and the Imenti South Education Officer said he has not received any information on the case.