120 students hospitalised over food poisoning in Malindi

120 students hospitalised over food poisoning in Malindi

At least 120 students at the Malindi Premier School were on Saturday evening hospitalised with sever stomach upsets in what is believed to be food poisoning incident.

Confirming the incident, Mr Gideon Ombongi, Malindi Deputy County Commissioner, said the 11pm incident affected primary school pupils, secondary school students, a teacher and a cook at the private school.

The school’s owner, Mr Kioko, barred journalists from taking of any pictures and video at the school premises and at the Malindi Sub County hospital where the students had been admitted.

Mr Ombongi added that the Ministry of Health officials had arrived at the school and were sampling the food that had been consumed the previous night to establish the origin of the bug.

He also added that samples would also be taken to Mombasa for further test.

Students could be heard crying of pain as the health officials were busy examining their state of health the hospital.

The parents who arrived at the school to know the welfare of their children refused to talk to journalists about the incident.

Sources told Citizen Digital that majority of the students were treated and went back to school.

“Investigations to know the cause of the food poisoning are underway,” Ombongi noted.

Malindi Premier School is one of the high-end private education institutions in Kilifi County.