‘Street talk!’ PS Omollo dismisses claims of being behind Osotsi attack in Kisumu
Internal Security and National Administration PS Raymond Omollo during a past function. PHOTO | COURTESY | MINA
Audio By Vocalize
Interior Principal Secretary Dr. Raymond Omollo has rubbished
allegations by Vihiga Senator Godfrey Osotsi and the Linda Mwananchi faction
linking him to a violent attack against the lawmaker in Kisumu last month,
terming the claims as “street talk.”
Speaking during an interview on Citizen TV on Tuesday evening,
PS Omollo said any accusations of criminal conduct should be pursued through
the law and not public accusations.
The Interior PS also questioned why he would have any
interest in targeting the Vihiga Senator, and what he would gain by doing so.
“I don't think I would want to respond to Osotsi because
Osotsi is a leader in this country. He's a Senator, he's a legislator, and we
are a constitutional country with processes,” said Dr. Omollo.
“As it is, I think it's merely…I would consider it as street
talk. But beyond that, the question is, what will be the interest of PS Omollo
in this case in attacking Senator Osotsi? What is it that Osotsi is doing
that affects my work? And even if there was an issue, we have laws that if
there is an accusation against Osotsi, I know what needs to be done.”
While denying any involvement, the PS defended his
position as a senior government official tasked with matters of security,
saying it would be contradictory for him to engage in criminal activities.
“And if anyone, not just in the name of the PS, is involved in
any criminal activity, there's a process that needs to be undertaken. So if
there is evidence that you are involved, for example, what I will do is I will
go to a police station, I will report, and I will follow the matter,” he said.
“And as a PS, also, we are responsible for security, It is
inconceivable that you would want to go that route.”
At the same time, he downplayed the claims, hinting that if
the Senator truly believed he was liable for the attack, he would have already
pressed charges against him.
“At this point in time, I am not sure if anything like that
has happened. And again, the police have the capacity and the law allows them
to deal with criminalities of that nature,” he said.
The accusations and response come amid heightened political
tensions and growing concerns over the use of organised groups to disrupt
political activities in parts of the country.
The remarks come weeks after Senator Osotsi accused the Interior PS of orchestrating an attack against him during
a visit to Kisumu.
In a press briefing after the incident, Osotsi claimed he was
assaulted by a group of about 15 to 20 youths while seated at a café, alleging
the attackers accused him of supporting the “one-term” political slogan.
“They started hitting me while questioning why I support the
one-term slogan,” Osotsi said then, adding that he lost consciousness during
the attack.
The Senator further alleged that he had evidence showing he
was being monitored before the incident and called for PS Omollo’s resignation
and arrest.

Join the Discussion
Share your perspective with the Citizen Digital community.
No comments yet
This discussion is waiting for your voice. Be the first to share your thoughts!