Police vows to pursue organisers, financiers of Homa Bay rally violence

Citizen Reporter
By Citizen Reporter August 17, 2026 08:22 (EAT)
Add as a Preferred Source on Google
Police vows to pursue organisers, financiers of Homa Bay rally violence

A section of the dusty road used by the Linda Mwananchi faction's convoy after being diverted from the main roads in Homa Bay county on August 16, 2026.

Vocalize Pre-Player Loader

Audio By Vocalize

The National Police Service (NPS) has vowed to pursue individuals it says organised, financed or facilitated the violence witnessed during the Linda Mwananchi rally in Homa Bay County on Sunday.

According to a statement issued by the NPS on Monday, police are pursuing other individuals who may have participated in the violence, including alleged organisers, facilitators and sponsors of criminal activities.

The service said security deployment for the rally was coordinated by the Nyanza Regional Police Commander and was proportionate to the nature and anticipated requirements of the event.

According to the statement, several criminal incidents were recorded during the rally, including attacks on journalists, damage to five police vehicles deployed for public order management and damage to several civilian vehicles.

The NPS said one police vehicle lost control during the incidents, resulting in the death of its driver and injuries to five other officers.

The statement further said three police officers were injured on August 15 while arresting 15 suspected gang members along the Kisumu-Kericho Road.

This brought the total number of injured officers in the Kisumu and Homa Bay incidents to eight, in addition to the officer who sustained fatal injuries in Homa Bay, according to the NPS.

Police said a total of 37 suspected gang members had been arrested and were found in possession of crude weapons, including machetes, ropes, metal rods, knives, rungus, batons and torches.

According to the statement, the suspects will be processed in accordance with the law.

The NPS also said it was pursuing Oliver Jaoko, alias “Olivetti”, who it said was at large and had been directed to surrender to the nearest police station to assist with ongoing investigations.

“Operations to apprehend him and all other individuals involved in the violence are continuing,” the statement said.

According to the NPS, investigators are also pursuing individuals suspected of recruiting, financing, mobilising, arming or otherwise facilitating criminal elements to cause violence and disorder.

The service warned criminal gangs, goons and their alleged organisers, facilitators and sponsors against exploiting political activities to perpetrate violence, intimidate members of the public, attack police officers or destroy property.

According to the statement, no individual, regardless of their position, influence or political affiliation, should mistake the police commitment to facilitating peaceful assembly for an abdication of its duty to enforce the law.

The NPS said the death of a police officer during the incidents was a matter of grave concern and would not be treated lightly.

The police statement comes after the Linda Mwananchi leadership accused the National Police Service and National Intelligence Service of facilitating what it described as a coordinated and premeditated attack during its Homa Bay tour.

Linda Mwananchi alleged that police officers operated alongside groups attacking its convoy and that armed individuals positioned along the route fired directly at the convoy.

The movement also called on the Inspector General of Police, the Independent Policing Oversight Authority and the Director General of the National Intelligence Service to explain the alleged conduct and coordination of their officers.

According to the NPS statement, however, police operations are focused on identifying and apprehending individuals involved in the violence, including those who may have organised or facilitated the criminal activities.

The service also reminded political actors that public rallies must be held between 6am and 6pm.

According to the statement, organisers must also notify the police to facilitate adequate security planning and deployment.


Join the Discussion

Share your perspective with the Citizen Digital community.

Moderation applies

Sign In to Publish

No comments yet

This discussion is waiting for your voice. Be the first to share your thoughts!