Linda Mwananchi demands probe into Homa Bay violence, names Wanga, Kaluma
Speaking during a press conference on Monday, the team, led by Siaya Governor James Orengo, claimed goons were mobilised to disrupt its rallies and accused the police of failing to intervene despite receiving advance information about the planned tour.
Audio By Vocalize
The Linda Mwananchi movement has called for investigations into the violence that disrupted its tour of Homa Bay County on Sunday, accusing the National Police Service and National Intelligence Service of involvement in what it described as a coordinated attack on its leaders and supporters.
In a statement issued on Monday, the movement said its convoy encountered blocked roads and police roadblocks from the Kisumu-Homa Bay border through the Homa Bay-Migori and Migori-Kisii routes.
It alleged that, in some instances, police officers appeared to operate alongside groups attacking the convoy instead of protecting the protesters and other members of the public.
“Most alarming was the presence of armed individuals positioned in bushes along our route who fired directly at the Linda Mwananchi convoy. This was not crowd chaos. It was an ambush!” the statement said.
Linda Mwananchi further claimed that some of those involved in the attacks had been transported to Homa Bay from Kisumu, Siaya, Migori, Kisii and Nairobi specifically to disrupt the tour.
The movement also alleged that one of the attackers apprehended by its supporters in Nyandiwa identified himself as an officer of the National Intelligence Service.
According to the statement, the man's mobile phone was taken and remains in the group's possession. Linda Mwananchi said it had subsequently received repeated calls from people identifying themselves as senior police officers demanding the return of the phone.
The movement said it was treating the device as evidence and would consult its lawyers on handing it over to independent oversight and investigative bodies.
The group said the violence left several people injured and vehicles damaged, with two people reported dead from injuries sustained during the clashes.
It said 18 people had been treated as of Sunday, with 12 evacuated to Kisumu for specialised care. Seven had since been discharged, two had undergone surgery and one had undergone a leg amputation, according to the statement.
Linda Mwananchi said the scale of the violence suggested planning and coordination, arguing that such attacks would require knowledge of routes and movements, resources and political protection.
The movement called on Homa Bay Governor Gladys Wanga, Homa Bay Town MP Peter Opondo Kaluma and Kwabwai Ward MCA Richard Ouma Ogindo to explain whether they knew about the violence and what action they took to stop it.
It also called on other Homa Bay leaders whose names had been linked to the incidents to publicly account for their role or lack of involvement.
At the same time, Linda Mwananchi acknowledged that not all police officers in Homa Bay were involved in the alleged disruption.
The movement singled out officers stationed in Nyandiwa and Sindo for praise, saying they had refused to participate in efforts to disrupt its rallies.
It also thanked medical facilities in Homa Bay and Kisumu for treating injured supporters, as well as politicians and members of the public who condemned the violence.
Among those acknowledged were Suba South MP Millie Odhiambo and Ruth Odinga. The movement also praised journalists who remained on the ground despite being targeted while covering the incidents.
The movement has now called on the Inspector General of Police, the Independent Policing Oversight Authority and the Director General of the National Intelligence Service to explain the alleged presence and conduct of their officers during the incidents.
It accused the security agencies of failing to prevent the violence and instead facilitating the attacks.
“We hold the National Police Service and the National Intelligence Service accountable for the conduct of their officers yesterday,” the statement said.
The group said it would pursue accountability through the courts and other lawful institutions, insisting that the violence would not stop its political activities ahead of the 2027 General Election.
“Linda Mwananchi will not be silenced,” the movement said, adding that the incidents had strengthened rather than weakened its resolve.
The accusations come a day after Linda Mwananchi leaders, including Siaya Governor James Orengo, lawyer Faith Odhiambo and former Embakasi East MP Babu Owino, accused Homa Bay political leaders and the government of facilitating the violence.
The allegations have not been independently verified, and the statement does not provide independent evidence establishing that state agencies or named political leaders coordinated the attacks.

Join the Discussion
Share your perspective with the Citizen Digital community.
No comments yet
This discussion is waiting for your voice. Be the first to share your thoughts!