Drama as 2-year-old rescued in Githurai after alleged abduction
Audio By Vocalize
Concerns are growing over a series of child abductions reported in different parts of the country, with the latest incident involving a dramatic rescue of a two-year-old child who had allegedly been abducted in Kiuu, Githurai, Nairobi.
CCTV footage captured the moment the child was led away by a
15-year-old girl, who later told investigators she had allegedly been sent to
take the child and promised a mobile phone as a reward.
Chaos unfolded during the rescue operation, with detectives
now suspecting that such incidents may have been coordinated from the very
house where the child was found.
The last time the two-year-old was seen was three days ago,
captured in CCTV footage. The suspect, a 15-year-old girl, is seen leading the
child away from their home in Kiuu, Githurai, before they disappear from view.
"Anaendanga hapa na anarudi sasa nikashindwa mtoto
wangu alienda wapi?" The child’s mother Hellen Muthoni said.
The child’s father Benjamin Mathenge added, “Inasemekana
wakati alichukuliwa hapa alionekana Kahawa Wendani na mtu wa plot anafanya
huko."
On Saturday, Citizen TV travelled to Githurai to follow up on the disappearance. Shortly afterwards, reports began circulating that the suspect had been spotted in the area, prompting renewed efforts and heightened concern among residents.
Citizen TV moved to where she had reportedly been seen in an effort to confirm whether she was indeed the same person captured in the CCTV footage.
In the footage, the suspect is seen heading towards Kwa
Ngethe Road before leading the child away. She is dressed in a red hoodie,
black shoes, a black cap and black trousers.
When the crowd positively identified the suspect, tempers flared and residents attempted to lynch her.
It was at this point that Citizen TV journalists escorted her to Kiuu Githurai
Police Station, fearing for her safety.
The crowd followed up to the station, where police officers took the suspect into custody.
Later, with the assistance of police, the suspect led detectives to the location where the child had allegedly been hidden.
There were other children outside the house when police
arrived, and the toddler was found nearby. The suspect led officers to the
exact spot where the child had reportedly been kept, and another suspect was
also arrested at the scene.
It was a moment of relief for the parents after three agonising days of uncertainty and fear over their child’s whereabouts.
The suspect later disclosed that she had allegedly been sent
by two individuals to abduct the child.
"Huyu ndio Fulu alinituma anafanyanga kazi hapo Rounder, na Mose
walinituma niwaletee mtoto halafu atanipatia simu," confessed the
suspect.
She is currently being held at Githurai Police Station,
while the child has been taken to the hospital for medical examination and further
care.
The toddler, rescued from the makeshift house, now becomes part of the growing number of children recovered amid concerns over rising cases of missing children.

Join the Discussion
Share your perspective with the Citizen Digital community.
No comments yet
This discussion is waiting for your voice. Be the first to share your thoughts!