100 people develop food poisoning after consuming food at a burial in Kirinyaga

Johnson Muriithi
By Johnson Muriithi August 20, 2026 09:06 (EAT)
Add as a Preferred Source on Google
100 people develop food poisoning after consuming food at a burial in Kirinyaga
Vocalize Pre-Player Loader

Audio By Vocalize

At least 100 mourners fell ill in a suspected food poisoning outbreak after consuming food at a burial ceremony in Inoi Ward, Kirinyaga Central Sub-County.

The incident occurred at the homestead of David Nyagah, where an estimated 600 people ate catered food during a burial on Friday, August 14, 2026.

According to a report from the County Government of Kirinyaga, about 100 people developed symptoms.

As of August 17, 68 patients had been treated and discharged, while 14 others, including two children under five years, remained admitted at ACK Mt. Kenya Hospital. No deaths have been reported.

Patients complained of diarrhoea, vomiting, abdominal pain, headache, general body malaise and chills. Some also developed high blood pressure, including individuals with no prior history of hypertension. Symptoms appeared between 24 hours and three days after consuming the food.

A five-member public health team that investigated the incident on 15th and 17th August inspected the caterer, Ndungu’s Spices of Kerugoya, a butchery in Githioro which supplied the meat, and the water source, Beulah Springs in Mugetha.

Investigators established that the cooked food was held for five to six hours before serving and was exposed to direct sunlight for long periods, raising concerns over temperature control.

An inspection of the water bottling plant also found hygiene practices below required standards, prompting the issuance of a compliance notice.

The public health office said all affected persons were referred for medical assessment and treatment, food handlers were sensitized on hygiene and hand-washing, and food and clinical samples were collected for laboratory analysis. Continued surveillance is underway to identify any additional cases as investigations continue.

In a response yesterday after the report was released, Kirinyaga Central MP Gachoki Gitari urged residents to be extra careful while handling and consuming food at public gatherings.

"We urge our people to be very careful. Let us ensure food is handled hygienically, cooked well and served on time to avoid such incidents," Gitari said, calling for strict observance of food safety standards by caterers, butcheries and water vendors.

Join the Discussion

Share your perspective with the Citizen Digital community.

Moderation applies

Sign In to Publish

No comments yet

This discussion is waiting for your voice. Be the first to share your thoughts!