Kiambu: Popular eatery closed over suspected case of Cholera

Kiambu: Popular eatery closed over suspected case of Cholera

 By Francis Chege 

Over 60 people were on Saturday rushed to Kiambu Referral Hospital for treatment bearing symptoms doctors at the facility associated with suspected case of Cholera.

A video seen by Wananchi Reporting, taken on Saturday, March 29, shows tens of patients lined up at the Kiambu facility, some of them holding their tummies in obvious discomfort.

In one of the videos, an old man can be seen holding his stomach, and barely managing to stand. In yet another video, a woman can be seen sitting on a bench, alone, looking weak and spent.

On her right hand is a white bandage and other IV drip paraphernalia. 

Doctor Japheth Kamau, a lead physician at the hospital, confirmed treating at least 63 suspected cases of Cholera by 12pm Saturday, with fears the numbers could rise. 

According to residents, many of those who showed the signs had eaten food at a popular eatery along Kiambu Road, near a popular supermarket, where contaminated food or water may have been the source.

"Most patients reported eating at the same food kiosk in the past 48 hours," said Dr. Kamau.

"We’re seeing severe dehydration, vomiting, and diarrhoea. Immediate treatment is critical,” he said.

Some of those affected included market traders, boda boda riders who had reportedly eaten at the popular eatery. 

Many complained of dizziness and stomach pains, and so had to be put on drip.

eet food, and seek immediate care if symptoms arise.

Kiambu Public Health Officer Dr. Japheth Muthoni said the eater had been closed to help mitigate the situation. 

Residents have been asked to be cautious when handling food as investigations continue.


Tags:

Kiambu Hospital Naivas Kiambu road Cholera outbreak eatery

Want to send us a story? SMS to 25170 or WhatsApp 0743570000 or Submit on Citizen Digital or email wananchi@royalmedia.co.ke

Leave a Comment

Comments

No comments yet.

latest stories