Kenyan police in Haiti suffer more casualties in clashes with gangs

Kenyan police officers, Port-au-Prince, January 18, 2025. REUTERS
Two Kenyan police officers in Haiti have been seriously
injured in clashes with gangs over the past week, three officers told Reuters,
adding to the mission's growing list of casualties as it comes under
increasingly frequent attack.
Kenya first deployed officers last June to the Multinational Security Support (MSS) mission, which currently has around 1,000 security personnel, about three-quarters of them from Kenya.
The mission, aimed at restoring enough security for Haiti to
hold elections by February 2026, has faced
morale issues almost from the start and uncertainty about
its possible expansion amid escalating gang violence.
It suffered its first fatality in February, and the MSS
reported another Kenyan officer missing last
week. The three officers, who asked not to be named for fear of reprisal, said
he was believed to be dead.
They said the two injuries came during routine patrols in
and around the capital, Port-au-Prince, which is mostly controlled by heavily
armed gangs blamed for thousands of deaths since 2021.
MSS spokesperson Jack Ombaka confirmed two officers had been
evacuated to the Dominican Republic for medical care.
"As in any mission, casualties are sometimes
unavoidable," he said.
The three officers said the gangs were attacking them on an
increasingly regular basis and complained that their equipment was inadequate.
They said one of the officers was shot in the head after a
bullet pierced his helmet and the other was hit in the ear when a gunshot
penetrated the walls of an armoured vehicle.
Twenty armoured vehicles have been grounded since this
weekend after officers refused to use them, complaining that this was the
second time a vehicle had failed to stop a bullet, the three officers said.
An MSS delegation plans to travel to Washington this week to
present concerns over the quality of protective gear to U.S. officials, two
senior MSS officers told Reuters.
The United States has provided most of the funding and
equipment for the mission, which has struggled to secure significant
contributions from other countries.
Kenya's government has cited humanitarian reasons for its
intervention in Haiti, though analysts say the deployment is also motivated by
a desire to boost the country's international profile and win favour with the
United States.
Asked about concerns about the equipment, Ombaka said:
"MSS continues to receive increased logistical support from partners and
stakeholders, with assurances that all equipment meets international standards."
The U.S. State Department did not immediately respond to a
request for comment.
Want to send us a story? SMS to 25170 or WhatsApp 0743570000 or Submit on Citizen Digital or email wananchi@royalmedia.co.ke
Comments
No comments yet.
Leave a Comment