Gov’t says e-Citizen services back online after cyber attack scare

Interior CS Kithure Kindiki speaks during a past appearance before a Senate committee. PHOTO | COURTESY | MINA
Normal services
have resumed on the government's e-Citizen platform following system interruptions
spurred by an attempted cyber attack.
The development
was preceded by ICT CS Eliud Owalo on Thursday confirming that hackers attempted to compromise the
system during the course of the week.
In a subsequent
statement however, the Ministry of Interior and National Administration announced
that the platform is now operating optimally.
“We wish to notify
the general public that services through the e-Citizen platform
(ecitizen.go.ke) have resumed following a regrettable downtime since Sunday,
July 23, 2023," said the ministry.
"The
momentary disruption was caused by an attempted cyber-attack on the platform
through Distributed Denial of Service (DDoS) technique, which involved flooding
the target system with massive traffic from multiple sources simultaneously.
The platform was overloaded and rendered unavailable to genuine users thereby
causing interference of the services.
The Prof. Kithure Kindiki-led
ministry however echoed CS Owalo's earlier sentiments in which he allayed fears that sensitive information from the platform had been
accessed by the cyber criminals.
"No data was
accessed or lost during the incident, owing to the comprehensive data
protection measures put in place by the responsible agencies," read the
Interior ministry's statement.
"The attack
not only indicates that we are surrounded by malicious actors, both locally and
internationally, but also vindicates the government’s relentless pursuit of
stronger cyber-security measures to safeguard our Critical Information
Infrastructure and data from such threats."
The Interior ministry
further advised Kenyans, government and private institutions to prioritise and
invest in cyber protection to reduce risks of cyber-attacks.
Want to send us a story? SMS to 25170 or WhatsApp 0743570000 or Submit on Citizen Digital or email wananchi@royalmedia.co.ke
Comments
No comments yet.
Leave a Comment