First Choice recruitment scam: Victims threaten to resume demos if Ksh.1B is not refunded

First Choice Recruitment and Consultancy Agency Director Judy Jepchirchir during a past appearance before the Senate committee. PHOTO | COURTESY
Residents of Eldoret, Uasin Gishu County, who were
victims of First Choice Recruitment and Consultancy Agency's fake job racket
have threatened to take to the streets every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday if
the Senate's recommendations are not implemented within a month.
This comes after the Senate Committee on Labour and
Social Welfare directed the recruitment agency to refund Ksh.1 billion that
allegedly defrauded thousands of youth from the county.
The committee also wants property owned by the
company’s directors, Jepchirchir and Faith Wariga, repossessed by the Assets
and Recovery Agency if they do not refund the said amount to the over 8,000
youth.
Kimutai Kirui, who has been at the forefront of the
fight for the issue, spoke to the media on Thursday and said that the Senate
Committee's recommendations should be followed or they will take to the
streets.
Kirui also hit out at Jepchirchir, whom he accused
of swindling thousands of youth under the guise of taking them abroad for jobs.
“Let her (Jepchirchir) close shop…She doesn't have
a license from the National Employment Authority... Let the woman not operate
for five years, as well as her deputy director, and let her refund money to the
five thousand youths she duped. She has not been airlifting students out of the
country,” he said.
He slammed Jepchirchir and her company, calling it
a “con game and a pyramid scheme" involving businessmen and politicians.
His sentiments were shared by other residents who
had gathered in solidarity to plan the demonstrations.
"Our lives are over; you know how much this
company cost us. People are suffering. We are not going to fear anyone. The
only language we understand is our money. We need our money back," said
another resident.
They demanded justice and called for Jepchirchir’s
arrest, further seeking her removal from office due to what they termed as incompetence.
"There's a recommendation for her arrest…we’re
waiting for the conclusion of the police investigation so she can be held
accountable," Kirui said.
Kelvin Koech, another victim, stated; "William
Samoei Ruto, we hear you saying 'mambo ni matatu’ kwa cartels wote, why don't
you deal with cartels of Uasin Gishu? We want Judy to refund, Judy to be
arrested, her company to close shop.”
“We have been seeking a refund for two years now….
We lost our money; we lost time to demonstrate; our children have no jobs. We
want our money back," Seli Yego, an afflicted parent, said.
More than 200 youth in Uasin Gishu County accused
the recruitment agency in Eldoret of promising them World Cup jobs in Qatar
that never materialised.
The agitated youth stormed the County Commissioner’s
office in Eldoret on September 19, 2022, asking relevant State agencies to
help them regain their hard-earned money.
The affected residents in August this year appeared before
the Senate Labour and Social Welfare Committee to narrate their experience with
the recruitment agency.
One of them - Sammy Boire, a boda boda rider - told the
Senate committee that Jepchirchir had been intimidating them by invoking President William Ruto’s name.
Jepchirchir also appeared briefly before the committee, but
was kicked out after refusing to retract and apologize for her remarks accusing
the committee of bias.
Want to send us a story? SMS to 25170 or WhatsApp 0743570000 or Submit on Citizen Digital or email wananchi@royalmedia.co.ke
Comments
No comments yet.
Leave a Comment