180K fertiliser bags absorbed daily on increased awareness of subsidy program: Kagwe

180K fertiliser bags absorbed daily on increased awareness of subsidy program: Kagwe

Agriculture Cabinet Secretary Mutahi Kagwe. PHOTO: @kilimoKE/X

Agriculture Cabinet Secretary Mutahi Kagwe says over 180,000 bags of fertiliser are being absorbed daily at National Cereals and Produce Board (NCPB) stores and last-mile outlets countrywide.

In a statement on Monday, Kagwe attributed the “historical high demand” to increased awareness of the government’s fertiliser subsidy program.

He said more than 5.9 million crop farmers are now registered on the Kenya Integrated Agricultural Management Information System (KIAMIS), an increase from the last planting season.

“Many farmers who previously benefited from the program are now doubling their uptake, signaling a historic bumper harvest that will not only boost food security but also reduce the country’s dependence on imports,” said Kagwe.

The minister said the government has mobilised trucks to replenish supplies to NCPB stores and meet the rising demand.

“I direct NCPB to immediately begin preparations for the drying and storage of key staple crops, particularly maize and wheat, to minimise post-harvest losses, he said.

At the same time, Kagwe urged farmers to get Aflasafe from Kenya Agricultural and Livestock Research Organization (KALRO) distribution and sales points to control aflatoxin contamination in crops such as maize and groundnut.   

The long-rains season in Kenya kicked off this month and is expected to last through May.

Tags:

Citizen TV Mutahi Kagwe Agriculture Citizen Digital Fertiliser

Want to send us a story? SMS to 25170 or WhatsApp 0743570000 or Submit on Citizen Digital or email wananchi@royalmedia.co.ke

Leave a Comment

Comments

No comments yet.

latest stories