Babu Owino slams Ruto-Sakaja deal as ‘hostile takeover’ of Nairobi
Embakasi East MP Babu Owino addresses the press at Parliament buildings on February 18, 2026. PHOTO | COURTESY
Audio By Vocalize
Embakasi East Member of
Parliament Babu Owino has sharply criticised the agreement signed
between President William Ruto and Nairobi
Governor Johnson Sakaja, terming it a “hostile
takeover” of county functions and an assault on devolution.
Speaking during a press
conference at the Parliament Buildings on
Wednesday, the outspoken MP accused the national government of illegally taking
over key county responsibilities and sidelining the public in the process.
“Today I want to comment on the
hostile takeover of certain key functions of the county government of Nairobi,
which were transferred to the national government. This process was illegally
done,” Owino said.
The 2027 Nairobi gubernatorial
hopeful questioned the decision to conduct public participation after the
agreement had already been signed, describing the move as unconstitutional and
rushed.
“We’re being informed that public
participation is supposed to be done after the signing of this agreement. This
is completely unconstitutional, and I don’t see the need as to why the national
government should move in a hurry to kill the spirit of devolution within
Nairobi County,” he added.
The lawmaker also took direct aim
at Governor Sakaja, accusing him of betraying the mandate given to him by city
residents.
“The Governor, in his wisdom or
lack of the same, agreed to transfer responsibilities which were bestowed on
him by Nairobians. Nairobians trusted the wrong person,” Owino said, adding
that both levels of government were incapable of delivering services.
“An Incompetent body has taken
over another incompetent body; this is a race of two pygmies competing on who
is taller than the other,” he said, warning that transferring functions such as
roads, water, street lighting and garbage collection would only create “new
corruption.”
Owino further demanded
accountability over Nairobi’s own source revenue, alleging that the county
government had little control over the system and claimed that he would table a
dossier on the matter.
His remarks come a day after
President Ruto and Governor Sakaja signed a cooperation agreement allowing the
national government to step in and jointly support service delivery in the
capital.
Under the deal, the national
government will inject an additional Ksh.80 billion into Nairobi City County to strengthen county
functions and improve services.
A joint steering committee chaired by Prime Cabinet Secretary Musalia Mudavadi will oversee implementation in
four key sectors: housing, roads, water provision and waste management.
Both Ruto and Sakaja have denied that the agreement amounts to a transfer of functions, insisting it is a collaboration permitted under the Constitution. However, opposition to the deal appears to be gathering momentum.
Nairobi
Senator Edwin Sifuna separately addressed the press earlier on
Wednesday, citing legal breaches in the agreement and saying his office had not
been consulted.
He called for the deal to be halted pending proper legal and
public processes, noting that the
14-day window for public participation is a very brief period and a mere
disrespect to Nairobians.
"The agreement in Clause
6.2 infact anticipates the outcome of the proposed public participation,
limiting it to amendments and forgetting that the people in their righteous might
have the option of rejecting the whole arrangement in toto," said Sifuna.
"Of the 12 members of the
committee, a whopping two-thirds are appointees of the national government.
From its structure, the Governor will be subservient to the Prime Cabinet Secretary,
making Sakaja the new Deputy Governor for all intents and purposes."
The agreement is expected to take effect after undergoing
public participation through the Nairobi County Assembly, though critics argue
that signing first and consulting later undermines the process.


Leave a Comment