Police impostor Joshua Waiganjo’s case re-opened
A Nakuru Court has allowed an application by the prosecution to recall the investigative officer and other witnesses in a case against police impostor Joshua Waiganjo.
Principal Magistrate Joe Omido on Monday set June 14, 2018 as the date the parties will highlight their submissions.
Also involved in the case is former Rift Valley Provincial Police Officer John M’Mbijiwe and former Anti-Stock Theft Unit boss Remy Ngugi.
The court made the decision after State prosecutor Sandra Kosgey made an application urging the High Court to stop the proceedings before a lower court and recall key witnesses in the case.
The case had previously been closed by the lower court since after the prosecution failed to present the witnesses.
In his submissions, Waiganjo said that failure by the prosecution to present the overall investigative officer was a sign that the State had nothing to prove against him.
Former Anti-Stock Theft Unit boss Remy Ngugi said he was rarely mentioned by the witnesses who testified in the case and, thus he had no links to Waiganjo.
Mr. M’mbijiwe also denied knowing Waiganjo, further claiming he was framed.
Waiganjo is facing charges of illegal possession of government equipment such as police uniform as well as impersonating an assistant police officer.
M’Mbijiwe and Ngugi have denied abuse of office charges and cushioning Waiganjo who masqueraded as a senior police officer for years without detection.
M’Mbijiwe is alleged to have ordered a “personal” file opened in Waiganjo’s name to pass him off as a police reservist on November 23, 2012.
He also allegedly allowed him to ride in a police helicopter during a sensitive security mission to Baragoi, Samburu, on October 30, 2012 prior to the Suguta Valley massacre where 42 police officers lost their lives.