Sonko on controversial video leaks: You have nothing to be afraid of if you are clean

Sonko on controversial video leaks: You have nothing to be afraid of if  you are clean

Former Nairobi Governor Mike Sonko.

  • The former governor claims he started taping his private interactions with people after he entered into office as the city’s boss in 2017, and says it has helped in fighting graft.
  • “If you come to me with plans of stealing, I will expose you. I will expose you to everyone,” said Sonko, adding: “You have nothing to be afraid of if you are clean.”

Former Nairobi Governor Mike Sonko has spoken out in defense of his recent social media 'exposés,' which have become known among Kenyans as the 'Sonko Leaks.'

The former governor claims he began taping his private interactions with people after taking office as mayor of the city in 2017, and that it has aided in the fight against graft.

“When I became governor, I inherited a city that was known for corruption and sleaze. I had people come into my office, calling me trying to broker deals that would steal from the city,” stated Sonko in an interview with The Standard.

“That is why I started recording people and exposing them soon, they were afraid of me and kept off stealing from the public.”

Sonko insisted that he only records interactions with "crooks and cartels," and that honest people should not be afraid of him.

“If you come to me with plans of stealing, I will expose you. I will expose you to everyone,” said Sonko, adding: “You have nothing to be afraid of if you are clean.”

Sonko leaked videos of a woman named Merry Nkatha spilling the beans on alleged graft schemes involving Nairobi Governor Ann Kananu, lawyer Cecil Miller, and High Court Judge Said Chitembwe on Tuesday.

Last week, he also released video recordings, allegedly linking Chitembwe to bribery in a disputed land court case.

Others who have fallen victim of the Sonko's secret recordings include President Uhuru Kenyatta, Former Kiambu Governor Ferdinard Waititu, his former Deputy Polycarp Igathe, Starehe MP Charles Njagua, Esther Passaris, Nairobi businessmen Praful Kumar and Mark Maina.

So far, the court has served him an order barring him from further exposés. Sonko has, however, vowed to continue his video leaks, saying he is ‘fixing’ the country’s judicial system.

“I have nothing to lose anymore. Even if I never go back into elective politics, I need to finish this war for the 40 million Kenyans who do not have a chance at justice.”

Sonko claims to have in store month's worth of unreleased video and audio recordings which he will eventually make public.

“I will broadcast more to my followers, much more is coming,” he added.