State House defends Baringo security operation in wake of recent attacks

State House defends Baringo security operation in wake of recent attacks

 

 

State House has defended the ongoing security operation in Baringo County amid fresh cases of banditry attacks that have taken place despite the deployment of Kenya Defence Forces in the area.

State House Spokesperson Manoah Esipisu says the deployment of KDF and other security forces in the area has helped to calm the situation in the volatile area of Baringo County and it’s environs.

This comes after complains by locals in Baringo of laxity by security officers deployed in the area following yesterday’s (Saturday) incident where three bandits were shot dead by police after they attempted to attack mourners at Mukutani area during a funeral of 11 victims of the Baringo attacks.

Seven women and four children killed by bandits in Mukutani area, Baringo County last week will be buried on Saturday amid heavy security presence.

A convoy of military vehicles escorted the bodies from the Kabarnet County Referral Mortuary on Saturday morning with burial set later in the afternoon in a mass grave near Mukutani Full Gospel Church in Marigat.

The victims fell to bandits bullets despite ongoing police offensive dubbed Operation Dumisha Amani leading to the immediate deployment of the Kenya Defence Forces soldiers by President Uhuru Kenyatta.

Three weeks earlier, three people, including a child, were also killed in the same area.

The Baringo County Police Commander Peter Ndung’u said the two women and a child were shot dead by cattle raiders who attacked Koitumot village on March 14 after spraying bullets on a police vehicle.

Earlier in March, the Kenya National Commission on Human Rights (KNCHR) also demanded that Tiaty MP Asman Kamama steps down as the chairman of the powerful National Assembly Security Committee to allow investigations.

KNCHR Vice Chairperson George Morara said the Tiaty MP Kamama has been adversely mentioned in the ongoing conflict, adding that his position is jeopardizing investigations.

Interior Cabinet Secretary Joseph Nkaissery has since gazetted 19 areas in Baringo South, Baringo North and East Pokot as disturbed and dangerous areas.