Mashujaa Day: Full list of 220 Kenyan heroes, heroines honoured by President Kenyatta
For years now, the Government of Kenya has been accused of neglecting and not acknowledging surviving freedom fighters and other heroes and heroines despite their efforts in liberating the country from colonial rule.
The government and the people of Kenya have a responsibility to honour these heroic individuals for the part they played in the fight for independence; and as beacons of inspiration for present and future generations.
In its preamble, the constitution recognizes all individuals who put their lives on the line during our fight for independence and those who have made immense contribution towards the unity of our nation. To this effect the constitution has set aside a national day, designated Mashujaa Day, to be observed on every 20th October in honour of our heroes and heroines by highlighting the role they have played in the development of Kenya.
This year’s theme “Nchi yangu. Jukumu langu. Mimi, Ni Shujaa!” clearly demonstrates the pride with which Kenyans hold our national heroes and especially the good work of the Kenya Defense Forces and our world conquering sportsmen and women. It also reiterates our liberation fathers’ conviction that in unity this country can achieve greater heights of social and economic development.
This year, these heroes and heroines will be honoured for efforts made under the following categories:
· Liberation struggle
· Spiritual leadership
· Indigenous knowledge
· Cultural values and practices
· Scholarship, professionalism and research
· Peace making
· Entrepreneurship and industry
· Special achievements, i.e.by the Kenya Defense Forces.
· Mashujaa Day dedicated to Heroes and Heroines is captured in Chapter 2, article 9(3) 6 under the section on National Symbols and National Days.
· Through Monuments, Statues, support for family members.
Here is the full list of all individuals that will be honoured at this year’s Mashujaa celebrations:
1. Amina Abdalla - Amina is being honoured for her Philanthropic nature. She has acquired land on which she has established a charitable Rescue Centre for the mentally challenged, where she houses, feeds and treats them. She is at the forefront in mentorship programmes for the girl child and women empowerment.
2. Martin Were Soita - He is celebrated for his involvement in the establishment of the Maritime Training Institute in East Africa. Under his stewardship, the Institute has posted exemplary results World over. His achievements have been recognized beyond the Kenyan borders.
3. Samuel Sawa Maneno - He is a career civil servant with over 30 years experience. He has also contributed immensely to the improvement of the education sector as well as the socio-economic development of his community. He is currently involved in community development projects in Kwale County.
4. Mwanakombo Kibwana Jarumani – Mwanakombo is recognised for his unwavering efforts in promoting education through establishing a number of schools in Kilifi County. He is involved in campaigns against radicalization of youth in the area. He is a girl child advocate and a peace ambassador.
5. Thake Abderehaman Kulmio - Thake is being honoured for championing peaceful co-existence among communities living in the Kilifi region. He is currently the chairman of the sub-county peace committee in Magarini.
6. Said Athman Ali - Said is celebrated for his effort in promoting peaceful co-existence among the communities living in his region, an advocate of the vulnerable and a source of inspiration to the many girls and women he supports bright but needy girls to further their education as the CEO of the Council of Muslim teachers and preachers.
7. Mahamud Wario – Wario is actively involved in the fight against retrogressive cultural practices in Tana River County. An ardent crusader for girl-child education she is currently involved in community development projects in the County, which include constructing schools and churches.
8. Rukia Kunyo Guyo- She is celebrated for being a passionate fighter against retrogressive cultural practices such as FGM and early girl-child marriages. She is an ardent promoter of the education of the girl child.
9. Jaffar Shebe Auni - Jaffar is honoured for his immense innovations in transport and logistics. He has designed and constructed the first ever floating fuel station in Lamu using fibre -glass vessels. The station which is currently operating in Lamu Seafront has significantly revolutionized the transport sector and created youth employment in the area.
10. Esther Wairimu Ndegwa - She is celebrated for her efforts in initiating programmes geared towards girl-child empowerment and fight against retrogressive cultural practices such as early marriages and FGM. She is an ardent motivational speaker and is currently involved in the provision of sanitary towels to girls from vulnerable backgrounds.
11. Didas Mzirai - He is honoured for his immense contribution towards peace and peaceful co-existence among the communities living in the Taita Taveta area. He is an entrepreneur who has offered employment to many youth in the region. He is currently engaged in community development projects in the County in the education and health sectors.
12. Mary Wakio Kilei - Mary is being honoured for her unmatched contribution in Education through sponsoring bright but vulnerable children. She has been on the forefront in fighting for women empowerment and poverty alleviation programmes in her county.
13. Hassan Osman Shurie - He is acknowledged for his contribution in the education sector, peace building and conflict resolution in Garissa County. He has been on the forefront in fighting for women empowerment and poverty alleviation programmes in the county.
14. Rukia Mohamed Affey- Rukia is an ardent FGM crusader and a role model to many youths in the region. She is honored for being instrumental in championing education initiatives for the girl-child. She is celebrated for her effort in promoting peace among the communities living in her County.
15. Abdullahi Abdi Farah- He is acknowledged for his contribution in the education sector. He has been instrumental in peace building in Wajir County. He has also been in the forefront in the fight for girl-child protection in the community.
16. Halima Abdullahi Ahmed- She is celebrated for her effort in promoting peace among the communities living in her county. She is also an ardent FGM crusader, involved in girl child and women empowerment.
17. Mohamed Maalim Dahir- A philanthropist who has given hope to many youths through his entrepreneurship programmes, Mohammed is involved in development projects like schools and churches in Mandera.
18. Mohamed Hussein Ali - He is honoured for his immense contribution towards peace and peaceful co-existence among the communities living in his area. He is currently the chairperson Peace initiative committee in the County. He is also the area senior chief.
19. Barako Dulacha Galgallo - Galgallo is a civil servant who has served for over 30 years in the academia World as a lecturer and a researcher contributing immensely to the body of knowledge. He has also made enormous contributions in the education sector through great publication, He is currently involved in community development projects and peace building in Marsabit County.
20. Kabale Tache Arero - She is a distinguished career civil servant currently involved in community development projects in her community. She has played a noble role in the promotion of education for all children in her region.
21. Halima Dida Golicha - She is a devoted de-radicalization crusader who has gone out of her way to ensure peaceful co-existence among the communities living in her area. She is also a gender based violence crusader and an ardent advocate for girl-child empowerment and education.
22. Lucy Nyoroka Mworia - She is honoured for championing 100 percent transition in the education sector at all levels through the local media, she is also a peace crusader who has gone out of her way to ensure peaceful co-existence among the communities living in the area.
23. Simon Gachoro Muketha - He is celebrated as a cultural expert among the Ameru people and is currently involved in community development projects in water and health sectors. He has played a noble role in the promotion of education in his area.
24. Dr. Priscilla Muthoni Lintari - She is honoured for her immense contribution in the education sector in her County where she sponsors bright but poor children. She has made tremendous contribution in fighting retrogressive cultural practices like FGM and illicit brews in the area too.
25. Charity Nyaga - She has had an industrious career in civil service that spans over 36 years. She has also contributed immensely to the improvement of the education sector as well as the socio-economic development of her community. She is currently involved in peace initiatives in Tharaka - Nithi County.
26. Njagi Julius Juma - He is a career civil servant who served the public diligently for a period spanning over 25 years in the KDF. At the advent of PEV he was involved in peace and reconciliation initiatives.
27. Seraphino Nyagah Kiura - Nyagah is being honoured for his immense contribution in environmental conservation, management and awareness. He is currently involved in community development programmes in the health and education sectors. He is also involved in peace initiatives in Embu County.
28. Jane Wamboi Mambo - She is celebrated for her active involvement in Community development projects, civic education and women empowerment in the her county She is.currently engaged in peace building initiatives in her community.
29. Mwangi John Mbwika - John is a career civil servant having served for over 30 years. He has made tremendous contributions in the security and education sectors of Kitui County.
30. Lucy Kitonyi John - Lucy is being honoured for her immense contribution in uplifting the living standards of the girls in her county through soccer, she is also a renowned soccer coach. She has played a noble role in the promotion of education for all in the region.
31. Julius Mbithi Mulwa - He is being honoured for his active involvement in spearheading peace initiatives in Machakos County and beyond, especially at the height of the Post Election Violence, 2007. He is actively involved in championing education for the girl-child in the County.
32. Victoria Nthenya - She is honoured for championing Human Rights initiatives in her area, she also champions for the Rights of the vulnerable members of the Community. She is currently involved in girl-child education and women empowerment programmes.
33. Masaku Mutua Muange - He is celebrated as a living treasure and a cultural expert among the Akamba people. He has played a noble role in the promotion of education, in environmental conservation and Management in his county.
34. Jacinta Mumbua Kituku - She is recognized for her unwavering efforts in championing education for girl-child as well as the vulnerable members of her community. Jacinta is currently engaged in peace making initiatives in her county.
35. Mburu Stanley Waithaka - He is a renowned athlete who has represented Kenya in a number of races with great accomplishment. In 2017, World under 18 won Bronze medal, 2018 in African cross-country in Algeria won Silver medal, 2018 in Finland won Silver medal, 2019 in Spain won Gold medal and in 2020 in Italy won Silver medal.
36. Samuel Murigi Kinyanjui - He is acclaimed for being instrumental in promoting peaceful coexistence among the communities in his region.
37. Agnes Kagure Kariuki - She is nominated because of her immense contribution in the establishment of a great business empire with outlets in DRC and South Sudan in the Pharmaceuticals, hotel and Insurance sectors. She is celebrated for initiating and promoting community empowerment programmes in Nyeri County.
38. Eng David Nduhiu Muthoga - Nduhiu is honoured because of his immense contribution to the education and health sectors in his county, he is a very instrumental member of the peace committee.
39. James Kamaru Mathenge - James is a retired civil servant having had a distinguished career spanning over 35 years in teaching where he made tremendous contributions to the education sector. Currently engaged in community development projects in church, water and sanitation in Kirinyaga County.
40. Julian Wanja - Julian has been instrumental in initiating over a number of women and youth initiatives which have an income generating base and youth empowerment.
41. Lucy Wangechi Njoroge - Lucy is being honoured for her active role in the fight against Gender based violence(GBV). She is celebrated for her unwavering involvement and volunteering her resources and time in Muran’ga Community based projects.
42. Charles Mbate Githua - Charles has had a distinguished career as a civil servant spanning over 34 years. He is currently involved in community development projects. He has played a noble role in the promotion of education for all in the region.
43. Eng. Danson Gathariki Kamau - He is celebrated for his contribution in youth empowerment through employment creation. He is an acclaimed educationist with an eagle eye on excellent management and administration; and pays school fees to the less fortunate members of the community. He is also involved in peace initiatives in Kiambu county.
44. Gregory Muchiri Peter- He is honoured for spearheading the eradication of illicit brews and substance abuse in his county. He is celebrated for his immense contribution to uplifting education standards for the vulnerable. He is also at the forefront in championing poverty eradication and empowerment programmes in the region.
45. Susan Aletia - She is recognized for her unwavering efforts in championing education for the girl-child as well as vulnerable members of her community. Susan is currently engaged in peace building initiatives and women empowerment projects in Turkana county.
46. Francis Namuya Erupe - Francis is celebrated for his significant contribution to the growth and development initiatives in his community including, businesses, schools, health, women empowerment and advocacy for peace, among the communities living in the region. He is currently engaged in promoting quality education for all in his County.
47. Mudaki Jefferson Amagadu – Mudaki is a champion for meaningful inclusion of the youth in key decision making spaces and platforms in health, youth and gender issues across the West Pokot County. He is involved in fighting against retrogressive cultural practices such as FGM early child marriages and cattle rustling.
48. Menach Carolyne Cheyech - Recognized for being an ardent advocate of the girl child, male youth and women empowerment. Currently, she is a menstrual hygiene champion where she helps source and distribute non-reusable and re-usable pads to rescued girls in West Pokot County through the Margo Day 4 Youth Empowerment Community Based Organization.
49. Lesanchore Leparaiyan - He has made immense contributions to peace and harmonious coexistence among Samburu. He is actively involved in the fight against retrogressive cultural practices such as FGM in the region. He is also an ardent community mobiliser.
50. Aloyce Nakoro Losike - He is actively involved in Anti-FGM initiatives in his County. An ardent crusader for girl-child education. He is currently involved in community development projects in the County, which include building schools and churches.
51. Ferdinand Omanyala - He is an avid sportsman who is recognized for the partcipating in and winning in events.
52. Stella Monyangi Nyamosi - She has had a distinguished career as a civil servant spanning 35 years, as teacher, promoting education for all in the region. Currently involved in community development projects, as a peace ambassador, she has been instrumental in peace building initiatives among the communities living in his county.
53. Veronicah Jerobon Ondieki - She is a great patriot who has volunteered in peace building initiatives especially during the post election violence where she offered humanitarian services to all without discrimination. She is an advocate of the vulnerable. She is currently involved in community development, establishing schools, churches and health centres in Uasin Gishu.
54. David Kimaiyo Rono - David is a peace crusader, being honoured for his immense contribution in the management of the post election violence-2007/8. He is also a role model farmer.
55. Yusuf Kipkorir Kaitany - He is honoured for his unwavering efforts in advocacy for peace in his region, and for his involvement in poverty alleviation programmes among the youth and women in the region. He is involved in environmental conservation and management programmes in Elgeyo Marakwet county.
56. James Cheboi Kimisoi - He is honoured for his immense contribution to the community, having been at the epi-centre in the fight against retrogressive cultural practices, such as early marriages. He is currently involved in peace initiatives and reconciliation among the Pokot and Marakwet communities.
57. Andrew Kiboen Nandi - He is honoured for initiating numerous community based development programmes and projects such as schools. He is a peace crusader and ambassador.
58. Mary Jepkemboi Koskei - Mary is honoured for her efforts in promoting quality education rising through ranks to Principalship, she has had an illustrious teaching career spanning over 26 years thereby scoping the principal of the year 2019. She is also actively involved in women and girl child empowerment initiatives in her County.
59. Dr. Nelly Yatich - She is celebrated for her efforts in championing COVID-19 prevention and advocacy initiatives in the County using local FM stations. Through her efforts she has ensured that 10 ventilation machines have been donated to hospitals in Baringo County.
60. Douglas Kipkorir - He is an acclaimed environmentalist who has spearheaded youth empowerment initiatives through education in the County. Douglas uses his own resources to feed the vulnerable.
61. Dr. Michael Njoroge Mugo - He is a renowned scholar who has immensely contributed to the body of knowledge in the field of medicine having risen through ranks to Doctorate. He was instrumental in ensuring the award of a charter to Laikipia University. He has been actively involved in National and cultural development programmes in the county.
62. Florence Gathigia Wachira - Florence is consistently committed to Civic duty and philanthropic work and has volunteered her resources generously to the vulnerable members of the society. During the COVID-19 pandemic she overwhelmingly donated face masks, hand sanitizers and water tanks to fight the pandemic in her county.
63. Joseph Njoroge Kariuki - He is celebrated for Spearheading education for all in the Nakuru community. He is a philanthropist who educates needy but bright students from humble backgrounds through his initiative which empowers them academically.
64. Peter Gichomo Maina - He is celebrated for being instrumental in spearheading and promoting education in the County, by sponsoring numerous students to pursue education. He is also honoured for his immense contribution of supplying food, water hand sanitizers and facemasks to schools in the Public schools in the Sub-County.
65. Kelena Ole Nchoe - He is honoured for his contribution to promoting peaceful co-existence of the communities living in the cosmopolitan County of Narok, and for the role he played in restoring peace and tranquility during the PEV 2007/8 period. He is also involved in the fight against retrogressive cultural practices in the community.
66. Eunice Selewuan Saoina Marima - She is honoured for championing, engineering and spearheading peace building initiatives in the Maasai community. Involved in girl-child and women empowerment programmes, health, education and water sector in the community.
67. Jeremiah Musumpai Ateti - He is celebrated for championing peace in the region and for supporting educational initiatives. He is currently the chairman of the peace initiatives in Kajiado County.He is a cultural icon among the Maa community.
68. Eve Yiamoi Merin - Eve is celebrated for championing peace in the region and for supporting educational initiatives. She is a gender advocate, championing girl-child and women empowerment.
69. Dina Bii – Dina has special interests in fighting retrogressive cultural practices such as FGM. She is a peace advocate and she has contributed immensely in the education sector, sponsoring a number of learners achieve their academic dream.
70. Isaac Kipturgut Ngetich - He has had a long distinguished career with a wealth of experience in peace building and ensuring peaceful co-existence among the communities living in his County. He is also an opinion leader as well as a living treasure in the community.
71. Ismael Sang - He is honoured for his efforts in promoting education initiatives, building classrooms, providing scholarships to bright but needy children and book donations to schools. He is currently involved in community development programmes in Bomet County. He is also actively involved in peace initiatives in the county.
72. Irene Ng’eno - Irene is a career civil servant having served many years in the teaching fraternity, rising through the ranks to senior positions, where she made tremendous contributions in the sector. She has also made enormous contributions as a communal development agent and human rights advocate.
73. Dorcas Otari Sagala - Dorcas is being honoured for championing the rights of the girl-child, women and persons living with disabilities in Kakamega County. She has also made enormous contributions as a human rights advocate.
74. Akwara Oluochi Wemera - He is epitomized as a cultural icon and treasure in his community. As a member of the Luhya council of elders, he has been in the forefront in championing peaceful co-existence, unity, cohesion and harmonious living. Also an active participant in various community projects such as road maintenance.
75. Josephat Musagame - He is epitomized for championing Persons living with disabilities’ rights as well as providing exemplary services to PWDs in the County. He is actively involved in the promotion of quality education for all in Vihiga County. She is an ardent peace crusader and champion.
76. Mary Angila Ng’ambwa - Mary is currently a community health care volunteer in Vihiga County. She is honoured for her exemplary work aimed at eradicating infant mortality rate by mobilizing expectant mothers to attend pre/post natal clinics. She is also a health educator.
77. Bishop Calistus Mutua Barasa - He is honoured for his contribution to peaceful co-existence of the communities living in the cosmopolitan Bungoma County. He is also recognized for the role he played in restoring peace and tranquility in the County during the PEV 2007/8 period. He is the Chairperson Cohesion and Integration in the County.
78. Juliana Chebor Ngorito - She is honoured by the county for her efforts in championing and campaigning against retrogressive cultural practices such as FGM, early marriages and GBV, she is also an agent of behavior change, as well as a peace crusader and a cultural practitioner.
79. Prof.Mulimba Josephat Odwako - He is a renowned scholar who has immensely contributed to the body of knowledge in the field of medicine having risen through ranks to Professorship. He has authored extensively, with a distinguished career in Civil Service.
80. Virginia Aoko - She is honoured for exhibiting exemplary rare qualities of heroism, sacrifice and bravery by rowing her mother to the health centre at night across crocodile infested waters during flooding.
81. James Okeyo Ogweno - A renowned educator and a founder member of Canon Girls high school, an initiative that sponsors bright but poor students to realize their education dream.
82. Paul Manan Nyambala - He has made immense contributions in the education sector as a teacher and has developed education policies and general social and voluntary work. He is also involved in peace building and dispute resolution in the county. He is also a living treasure in the community.
83. Joab Owiti Okor - He is being epitomized for his philanthropic gesture at the advent of COVID-19. His company mobilized resources to help fight the pandemic through provision of face masks, and hand sanitizers to schools. He is a peace crusader, educationalist and PWDs advocate.
84. Pauline Mauwa Akwacha - She is an entrepreneur and a business guru for a period spanning over 40 years. As a hotelier, she has been instrumental in feeding street families and reuniting them with their families. She is currently involved in community development projects in education, soccer, churches and environmental conservation and management.
85. Nelly Nyamunga - Nelly is a retired frontline medic, at the advent of the Ebola pandemic she risked her life for the sake of saving patients infected with Ebola. She is being epitomized for heroic gesture in saving lives. She was part of the Sierra Leone medical team.
86. Christopher O. Sure - He is a career civil servant who has contributed immensely to the improvement of the education sector as well as the socio-economic development of his community. He is currently involved in community development projects in his County.
87. Daniel Bwosiemo - Daniel is celebrated for his unwavering effort in netting explosive smugglers into the Country. He is therefore a Statesman. He is also an opinion leader.
88. Margaret Wanjala - She is honoured by her county for her efforts in championing and campaigning against retrogressive cultural practices such as FGM, early marriages and GBV, she is also an agent of behavior change as well as a peace crusader.
89. Jared Nyambweke - He is a renowned international athlete. He has participated in the following competitions: 2018, Nigeria Africa championships- won a gold medal . 2019, Yokohama world relay series-won a bronze medal. 2019, USA penny relays. 2020, continental games Kenya-Won gold medal. 2021, Poland World Relay series. 2021, KDF games- Won gold medal
90. Samson N.Onyancha - He is being celebrated for being instrumental in spearheading peaceful co-existence between the Kisii and Transmara people. He has participated in numerous joint peace meetings between the Maasai and Kisii during stock theft cases. Most of these meetings have culminated in the recovery of stolen cows and the arrest of stock suspects. He is an ardent peace ambassador.
91. Jared Ochanda Mombinya - He is honoured because of his immense contribution to the peace initiatives in Nyamira County as a very instrumental member of the peace committee. He has engaged in numerous community development projects and youth empowerment programmes.
92. Charles Asati Momesu - An accomplished career civil servant, Charles served as a KDF Officer for a period spanning 30 years. He served the Country valiantly during his period in service as an athlete and athletics coach. He is currently involved in peace initiatives.
93. Clifford Chianga Oluoch - Clifford is a career educationalist having served many years in the teaching fraternity, rising through the ranks to senior positions, where he has made tremendous contributions in the education sector. He is currently the Principal of Regis School, Runda, where he has introduced innovative learning and teaching methods with great success. He is an ardent administrator.
94. Beth Muthoni Mengo - She is celebrated for her effort in promoting peace among the communities living in her County, an advocate of the vulnerable and a source of inspiration to the many girls and women .She is an ardent advocate against drugs and substance abuse among the youth in the County.
95. Zach Amunga - Zach Amunga is an accomplished pianist, composer, arranger, and recording artist with over 20 years’ experience. He was among the musicians who were at the forefront to sensitize and create awareness on Covid 19 through music.
96. Isaac Mugunda - He is an established guitarist, mentor and a music director. He was one of the musicians who were at the forefront to sensitize and create awareness on Covid 19 through music.
97. Samuel Onjula Anyango - A retired Career Civil servant who worked for the Kenya Railways Corporations for over 35 years making immense contribution to its expansion, Samuel contributed immensely to the football World where jointly with likeminded persons founded founded Gor Mahia FC. He is also a founder member of Makongeni SDA Church and choir as well as Parapanda performing group.
98. Chris Adwar - He is an established pianist, song writer, performer, music producer, audio engineer and director. During the Covid19 pandemic, he volunteered and composed a jingle and songs for Covid-19 awareness. He has also given exemplary performances during State and National day celebration
99. Elly Mirasi Akumu - Popularly known as Dr. Osito Kalle is a maestro Luo benga musician who has been in the music industry for more than 4 decades. He is celebrated for his exemplary performance and for showing patriotism during the Madaraka day celebrations 2021.
100. Linet Akinyi Otieno - Famously known as Linet Aluoch Pamba is a renowned Luo benga female musician. She played a big role in the production of Benga music during Madaraka day celebrations 2021.
101. Fenny Kerubo -[i]is an award winning gospel musician. She is among the artists who have shown patriotism and exemplary performances during National days.
102. Dauglas Otiso – A renowned Gospel musician and a songwriter from Kisii, Douglas has won accolades and received several groove awards nominations. He is one of the artist that were vibrant during Mashujaa day celebrations 2020 and gave an exemplary performance
103. Madona Erupe – Madona is a gospel artist from Turkana south Lokichar. She is celebrated for her effort in ensuring Turkana music is appreciated. She represented her community in the Mashujaa day celebration and gave an exemplary performance.
104. Imwari Mutai James – AKA Kamanu is a celebrated benga artist. A songwriter, performer and guitarist.
105. Peterson GithinjI - Peterson Githinji also known as Pitson is a renowned gospel musician, songwriter and performer. He will be remembered for volunteering and composing music of hope and resilience during Covid 19 pandemic. He has taken part in composing music for National day celebrations among others.
106. Justice Effie Owuor - Justice Effie Owuor is Kenya’s first female High Court Judge. She also became the first female Judge of the Court of Appeal, the highest then before the Supreme Court became a reality in 2010. And in a career spanning over three decades, she presided over criminal, family and succession cases in between heading the national task forces that reviewed the Children’s Act being a member of the Njonjo Commission of Inquiry, the first woman to sit in a Commission of Inquiry.
107. Benedict Shitera Musambi - A career Civil servant who had a distinguished career as a security officer rising through ranks. He is honoured for his exemplary work in the security sector as an administrator and an educationist. He is currently engaged in community development projects in the Vihiga Community, including schools and roads.
108. Nancy Okoth Okoth - She has had a distinguished career as a passionate child protection and safeguarding advocate. She is honoured for her exemplary work in the protection of children from all forms of discrimination, abuse and violence. Currently engaged in community based development projects, including schools in Siaya
109. Wafula Raphael Manyasi -Wafula is a career civil servant honoured for his exemplary work in the education sector as an administrator and an educationist. He is currently engaged in Community development projects and youth empowerment programmes through sports in the County.
110. John Erick Okumu - Famously known and Eng. Wuod Fibi is songwriter, performer and music producer in the Luo music industry. He is the founder of Barikiwa studios, the music label behind the classic rhumba and Ohangla hits in Kenya. He is celebrated for taking the lead in the Madaraka 2021 music production which patriotic hits Wazalendo and Kenya moja.
111. Boaz Areri – Boaz also known as Dokta B is a songwriter, performer and producer. He is celebrated for being a patriot and for coordinating musicians during Mashujaa 2020 celebrations. He is the producer behind the Mashujaa 2020 patriotic hits Mimi ni shujaa and Abanyangongo.
112. Awadh Salim Awadh - Renowned music producer, music performer and a songwriter in the coastal (mwambao) music industry Awadh is the Founder of Shirko media entertainment; a recording label based in Mombasa. Through his record label he has mentored and nurtured most of the rising mwambao talents such as Ally-mahaba and Sai-Kenya among many. He brought together upcoming musicians, trained and recorded them for free during the Covid19 pandemic. He also offered his studio for musicians to record songs to create awareness on Covid-19.
113. Sylvester Ondiege - Renowned professional dancer and a choreographer Sylvester is the co-founder of Amani lazima project which addresses employment creation through performing arts. He is celebrated for his creative ideas in choreography during State and National day celebrations.
114. Mikelita Ngilipian – Mikelita has been at the forefront in preaching peace among the communities within Marsabit county through music and dance. She is the coordinator of the famous Loiyangalani all stars who have been working together in ensuring there is peace among the Marsabit communities.
115. Alfred Migure - Alfred Migure is a respected leader in Homabay. He is the founder of Kagan Kochia He is known for being active and spearheading the preservation of the Ramogi dance of the Luo through nurturing and training young men in the community.
116. Selpha Muyonga – Selpha is among the top female choral musicians in Kenya. She is a songwriter, composer and arranger. She has been part of the choral directors who have taken part in composing patriotic songs in Kenya Music Festivals and in State functions
117. Everlister Bedda - She is one of the top female choral musicians. She is a songwriter, composer and arranger at Mary Hill high school. She has been part of the choral directors who have taken part in composing patriotic songs in Kenya Music Festivals and also acts as an Adjudicator.
118. Hilda Kagwiria – She is one of the top female choral musicians at Precious Blood Riruta. She is a music educator, composer, arranger at Mary Hill high school and also a performer. She has been an adjudicator for the Kenya Music Festivals and also choral trainer during Madaraka day celebrations 2018.
119. George Odera - George Odera is a composer, arranger and singer at Kenya Ports Authority. He is celebrated for his patriotic works which have been appreciated for many years by choral lovers. He has led the Kenya Ports Choir in performances during State and National days.
120. John Rote Muswanyi - John is celebrated for his immense contribution in the education sector where he supports and funds education for the needy and less privileged but bright students. He is involved in youth and women empowerment projects in his community.
121. Mukesh Prafulchandra Desai - Mukesh is a pioneer and current chairperson of the Giant Group of Nairobi-Twiga, a charitable organization, with a feeding programme that caters for over 16,500 students from 26 schools. At the height of COVID-19, he donated over 10,000 tonnes of food rations, hand sanitizers, face masks and washing tanks to over 20,000 families.
122. Gatebe Christopher Mwangi - An accomplished career civil servant, serving as an educator, teacher, coach and an administrator Mwangi has made immense contributions in the promotion of education for all in the region. His efforts and campaign has empowered many young people.
123. Christine Maina - She is a music educator, songwriter, performer and mentor. She is also a trainer in the annual national youth talent development program in music and dance. She was among the musicians who took part in composing songs of hope and resilience during this pandemic. She has also shown patriotism through guiding and co-ordinating artists during National day celebrations.
124. Patrick Onyino Kerende - He is being honoured for his immense contribution in the promotion of education by sponsoring many bright students from humble backgrounds to achieve their academic dreams. He is also involved in a number of community developments in his region. He is currently engaged in girl-child and women empowerment.
125. Robert Mugo Mboi - He is credited for serving the first family as their driver, and even taking the President, H.E. Uhuru Kenyatta to school and protecting the family.
126. Benson Oseko Nyang’iti - He is a living treasure of the Abagusii community and a founder of the Abagusii Council of elders. A community leader with exemplary personal attributes, experience Benson has been instrumental in the Promotion of peaceful co-existence and conflict resolution in Kisii County.
127. Faith Wanja Mwaura - She is honoured for her efforts in promoting education initiatives, and for her involvement in other development programmes in Kiambu County. She is an ardent anti drugs and substance abuse crusader.
128. Margret Waitherero Maina - A prolific gospel singer, composer, writer, teacher and counselor Margaret’s music contributed so much in shaping the Kenyan gospel industry. She has recorded and released more than 2 albums to her credit.
129. James simiyu Mabukha - Simiyu has had a distinguished career as a civil servant spanning over 30 years as a teacher and an educational administrator, where he mentored many youths. Currently he is engaged in community development projects in the health, security and religious sectors.
130. David Wasike Wakhungu - Wasike is a career civil servant having served many years in the teaching fraternity, rising through the ranks to senior positions, where he made tremendous contributions in the sector. He has also made enormous contributions in the sporting fraternity, both as an educational manager and sports administrator.
131. Njuguna Gitau - He has had an Industrious and distinguished career in broadcasting spanning many years at BBC and KBC serving the Public diligently. While at KSMC he mentored many prominent news anchors and broadcasters. He is currently involved in a number of community development projects and programmes in Kiambu. He is a living treasure among the Kikuyu community.
132. Fatuma Hassan - Fatuma is honoured for her immense contribution to the second liberation struggle and articulating women Rights and empowerment of minorities in Isiolo. She is also an ardent advocate against retrogressive cultural practices in the community, and an ardent civic educator, as well as a good role model.
133. Justin Muthii Wachira - Muthii is a career civil servant having served many years in the teaching fraternity, rising through the ranks to senior positions, where he made tremendous contribution in the sector. He has also made enormous contribution in the sporting fraternity, both as an educational manager and sports administer. He played a significant role in restoring peace in the region by subduing the Mungiki sect.
134. Bishop Samuel Adede -He is honoured for his immense contribution for pioneering the establishment of the Agano Ark of the Covenant Evangelical Church Mission in East Africa. As a member of the Abasuba Council of Elders, he has championed peace initiatives in Homa Bay County.
135. Moses Turere - He is honoured for pioneering The Global Worship Centre Ministries which gave birth to, The Global Cathedral, The Global Academy and The Global Clinics which caters for spiritual, academic and health needs of the people living in Kajiado. He is Currently involved in community development initiatives specifically in water and sanitation.
136. Hellen Njeri Kameri - She is a career educationalist having served many years in the teaching fraternity where she has made tremendous contributions in the education sector. She is currently engaged in various community development programmes and projects. She is a good role model to young upcoming girls and an advocate of the girl-child rights.
137. Jacob Ochieng Owili - He is a Medical Laboratory Scientist who has dedicated his life to providing service to the people living in the Homa Bay area both as a practitioner and an administrator. He is also involved in environmental conservation and management as well as numerous community programmes and projects. He is labeled a true servant of the People.
138. Joshua M. Mwendaka - He has had a distinguished career in civil service spanning over 40 years. Joshua is being honoured for his exemplary work in the education sector as an administrator and an educationist.
139. Shammer Kyalo Kiawa - A prolific broadcastor, script writer, producer and director of various TV drama programmes Shammer is notably famous for shows such as Vioja Mahakamani, Vitimbi and Jee, Huu ni Ungwana, which revolutionized the TV programmes in the 80s, 90s and early 2000. His broadcasting skills have influenced the sector positively as well as upcoming broadcasters.
140. Zephania Ndungu Kiongo - Kiongo has had a distinguished career as a civil servant, spanning over 41 years. Currently he is engaged in community development projects in the health, security and religious sectors.
141. John Muriithi Kiama - Kiama is a Fire Marshall who has dedicated his time and life to rescue missions in Kirinyaga County. He is being honoured for his active involvement in various rescue missions.
142. Paul M. Wanganangu – Paul has been honoured for his immense contribution in the development, promotion and revolutionizing the music industry. He is also a renowned music composer, writer, performer and accordionist.
143. Richard W. Gitonyi - He is being celebrated for the role he played in the Mau Mau liberation struggle, which later on gave birth to Kenya’s Independence. He is a community opinion leader and a cultural icon.
144. Benard Kathanga Ngungi - Benard has had an industrious career in the banking sector as the founding chairperson of the Cooperative bank of Kenya, where he helped open and operationalize many branches across the Republic. Through his stewardship he managed to spur the growth of the bank to its current status.
145. George Kamiti- George is a prolific visual artist specializing in the use of recycled materials to produce beautiful artworks. He has participated and represented Kenya in many exhibitions and symposia with great success.
146. Clyde Matioli Tsinduchi - Clyde has had an exemplary civil service career as a teacher rising through ranks to an education Officer, where he mentored many youth who have in turn excelled. Clyde's performance record as a teacher and education officer is unmatched. Through his dedication and hardwork he was promoted to the position of Director Social Services and Housing.
147. Ruth Katungwa Mwendwa - Ruth is a practicing visual artist who is being honoured for her exemplary work in the area of art, having represented Makueni County and the Nation in a number of art symposia and exhibitions with great success. She specializes in sculptures, ceramics and weaving. She draws her inspiration from nature, music, culture and women.
148. Yunes Bwari Zakayo – Yunes is a retired teacher who had an industrious career spanning 35 years in the education administration and management sectors. She is currently involved in community development projects in Kisii county.
149. Dr. Wallace Kamau Kanyuira - He is being honoured for reaching out to vulnerable people such as orphans, the sick and the poor. His operations are centred in slums, arid and semi arid areas. He has established Schools and hospitals in these areas targeting the needy. Currently he has over 23,000 children in primary Schools under his programs where he feeds them and clothes them. He also ensures they acquire basic and tertiary education.
150. Rodricks Oware Ambuka - Ambuka is being honoured for his immense contribution to environmental conservation and management, as well as being a great entrepreneur. He is currently involved in youth empowerment programmes in the Vihiga community.
151. Nicholas Maina Oguto - Nicholas is a retired broadcaster having worked with the Kenya Broadcasting Corporation for over 31 years. He is credited for his immense contribution in the broadcasting sector. He is currently involved in a number of community development projects including; churches, schools and Youths empowerment in Busia County.
152. Fredrick Imala Daudi - He is being honoured for his philanthropic initiatives. He has been an ardent promoter of peace initiatives in Kakamega County, hence a peace champion. He is also a cultural practitioner and icon.
153. Jacinta Were - Jacinta’s contribution to professional development has been outstanding, at the National, Regional and International level. Jacinta was a pioneer in the application of computer technology in libraries across Africa and she also served on several global professional committees.
154. Rosemary Wairimu Gitachu - An outstanding and exemplary Librarian who dedicated her professional life in the leadership and management of College and University libraries in Kenya for the last 44 years, Rosemary was instrumental in the establishment of the Kenya National Archives and Documentation Service (KNA&DS), formerly known as the Kenya National Archives. She is also passionate about mentoring young men and women aspiring to be professionals.
155. Lucia Kaana - Lucia is an Anti-FGM advocate in Marsabit county. She is the founder of the Rendille Girl Child foundation, a grassroots organization championing the education of girls who are rescued from early marriages. She has also been instrumental in coordinating cultural events among the Rendille.
156. Samuel Kibet Chepkwony - Samuel is a career civil servant with the National Police Service who has served the force with a lot of commitment. He has mainly been tasked with ensuring the safety of dignitaries.
157. Boniface Kamau Mbiti
158. Fatuma Abdi - Fatuma Abdi is dedicated towards volunteering towards assisting street children have quality education, shelter and food. She is vocal in assisting street children be jigger free and she also offers ARV treatment for those who are HIV positive.
159. Manish Shah Ramniklal - Manish is honoured for his philanthropic activities to the society. He offers free eye cataract services, donates free walking canes to the visually Impaired and supports Cerebral Palsy children at Ribeiro Primary School. She also sponsors 200 students.
160. Asha Ali Osman Samburu - Asha has contributed tremendously in supporting girl child rights in Samburu county. She assists the elderly to access food, medical care and housing. She also spearheaded Maendeleo ya Wanawake development in Baragoi, and also uplifted the Youth by providing bursary to the underprivileged.
Freedom Fighters who have been honoured at the event are:
· Esther Wanjuru Kioi - Nyeri
· Waweru Kihia - Nyeri
· Jacob Wasike Wamacheche - Bungoma
· Nelson Njoka Gachoki - Kirinyaga
· Helekiah M.A. Lomo - Kisumu
· Jeremiah Nduati Mwaniki - Kiambu
· Gladys Wanjiku Maina - Nairobi
· Joseph Chege Kamau - Nairobi
· Geoffrey Mwai Joshua Muthigi - Kirinyaga
· Mururi Njuguna - Murang’a
· Raphael Maina King’ori - Nyeri
· Beatrice Muthoni Njuguna - Murang’a
· Benjamin K. Ngatia Wambugu - Nyeri
· Mary Njoki Karanja - Nyandarua
· Muchina Mwangi Mukoke - Kiambu
· Harold Muthondu Kabiru - Murang’a
· Wilson Kimani Karau - Kiambu
· Hannah Wanjiku Murogo - Kiambu
· Makori Mangera - Kisii
· Robert Gakuo Nyaga - Laikipia
· Michael Mungai Kimani - Nairobi
· Nelly Wanjru Kanyari - Kiambu
· Loise Wambui Njoroge - Nyandarua
· Philis Kariuko Wa Njagi - Kirinyaga
· Fredrick Muriithi Murage - Kirinyaga
· Charles Murimi Kabui - Kirinyaga
· Benson Njege Warui - Kirinyaga
· Agnes W. Wairire - Kirinyaga
· Abraham Mbaranyo Mboi - Kirinyaga
Here is the complete list of personalities from the field of sports that President Kenyatta will honour:
- Peres Jepchirchir - 2016 winner of world half marathon gold medal at Cardiff in London; 2017 world record in half marathon at RAK in Dubai 2020; world record holder in half marathon at Prague in Czech Republic; 2020 World Record Holder in Poland World Half Marathon; Gold medalist in Tokyo 2020 women marathon. She is a professional long-distance runner who competes mainly in road running competitions.
- Lawrence Cherono - 2020 Tokyo Olympic in marathon runner (4th position); Bronze medalist in 2020 Valencia marathon; Gold medalist in 2019 Chicago marathon. He is ranked 3rd position worldwide in athletics men's marathon.
- John Bob Oyugi - Former National Football Player; Senior Football Coach and Instructor; Currently involved with the development of Kenyan Youths and Sports developments; Sports organ with Kenya Academy of Sports. He is also involved with innovations and nurturing of our young sports men and women.
- Delilah Asiago - Won the Dubai marathon in 2006; Holds 4mile and 12km road running world records; Awarded 1995 road racer of the year price; 2006 Salt Lake City Marathon bronze medalist; 2002 Great Lake marathon gold medalist. 1995 Falmouth Road racer winner. She is also an Olympian.
- Ricky Solomon - Participant in the International Youth Soccer; Scouted by a German agent to play in Germany in 1982; 2012: Appointed to the East & Central Football Association on the Committee of Youth; 1980-1983: Professional Soccer player – Harambee stars; Served in the CECAFA Technical Organizing Committee in 2014; 2011-To date: Chairman Kenya Coaches Associations. He is National Team Manager for the Harambee Stars Youth team.
- Linus Wachoka Masheti - 2004 National and prisons wrestling coach; Currently the Naivasha prisons wrestling coach; 1998 wrestling Olympian in Korea Olympic games; Participant in the 1994 Commonwealth Games in Canada; 1996 Atlanta Olympics competitor; 2002 Commonwealth Games in Manchester competitor; 2013 Commonwealth Games in Scotland competitor; Bronze medalist in 1991 African games in Cairo, Egypt. He is also a Bronze medalist in the 2003 African Games.
- Millicent Busolo - Netball Federation Secretary General; Was scouted and employed by the Kenya Railways as a Netballer during the National school games in Kitale in 1987; Represented Kenya Railway Club in the national tournaments and leagues; Represented the country in the All Africa Games in 1999 in Johannesburg, emerged 4th position. She was in the National team during the East Africa senior challenge cup from 2000-2003.
- Joseph Kiprotich Cheromei - Veteran athlete who was based in Italy between 1991 to 2004; Represented Kenya in 1991 in New Delhi 5000m and won a bronze medal. He joined coaching in 2005 and has produced top-class athletes who have excelled on the international stage.
- Abudu Juma Waziri - Former weightlifter who participated in All African games in 1987 bantam weight, finishing 4th; An Olympian in bantam weight, Seoul Korea Olympic games 1988.
- Felix Kipkoech - Gold medalist in the Geneva Berlin half marathon in 2021; Gold medalist in Tuscany Camp half marathon Siena, Italy in 2021; Gold medalist in the semi-marathon Christian Granger de Boulogne-Billancourt.
- Peter Kalae - President of Kenya sports for the Deaf (Deaflympics); Founder Member of Kenya sports federation for the Deaf in 1990; Founder of Deaf Union football club. He also played with Kenya Breweries (now Tusker).
- Dickson Manyange - He is a Deaf handball player who plays in the National Deaf handball team; Represented Kenya in the world Deaf handball in 2018 in Brazil. He has been awarded with the Soya Award winner sports personality of the year living with disability.
- Isaac Makokha – He is Kenya's topmost deaf-and-dumb golfer: Plays off handicap 3 in the Kenya National Golf championship (formerly GOTV); Represented Kenya in gigantic assignments in Turkey and regional Victoria Cup with exemplary performance; Participated in the Deaflympic games in Turkey and finished 5th overall. He wants to become the first deaf person to represent Kenya in the European Tour.
- Moses Mathenge - 2002 federation of East, Southern Central Africa Boxing Association Silver Medalist; Gold medal winner, CommonWealth Games 2006 in Australia; Bronze Medal winner in the All Africa Millitary Games in 2018; Winner in the East Africa Military Games 2005, 2006 (Silver) & 2008 (Gold). He represented Kenya in the All-Africa Games 2015, Commonwealth Games in 2010.
- Sudhir Solank - Played for Coast Cricket Association in 1979; In 1980-2007 played in the Senior League with Ngara Credit Club; In 1983 played for the Kenya Team against Zambia, and in 1987 in England. He played cricket for Kenya in many International matches, with exemplary performance.
- Jennifer Kamande – Coach, para-swimming Kenya; An athlete since 2000, participating in Paralympic games as a swimmer in class to international levels until 2010. Started coaching since 2010 up to date. Her para-swimmers have participated in Glasgow Commonwealth Games in 2014, in 2017 the World Championship Game and qualified to go for the London World Championship in 2018 and to Gold Coast Commonwealth Games.
- Eric Kiptoo Sang - Athlete in 1500 and 5000m races. Won gold in 5000m Tunisia in 2016; Won gold in 1500m and 5000m, Morocco 2016; Rio Olympics participant; 2017 Dubai bronze medalist in both races; 2020 Morocco silver medalist in 1500m; 2021 Dubai and gold medalist in 1500m; 2021 Tunis silver medalist in 5000m; Tokyo Olympian in 1500m (position 6).
- Korir David - Guide and eyes Erick sang. Participates in all events with Erick Sang.
- Wesley Sang - 2015 All-Africa Games participant in 400m (position 4); 2016 Morocco bronze medalist in 1500m; 3-time medalist in 5000m, 1500m & 800m in 2017 Dubai Fazza Grand Prix; Silver medalist in 400m in Morocco 2019; silver medalist in 400m and bronze medalist in 1500m, Morocco 2020.
- Geoffrey Kiplangat Rotich - Guide to Nancy Chelangat. Guides Chelangat in all athletic events.
- Asiya Mohammed - 1st Kenyan female rower to qualify for Paralympics; 5-time gold medallist in Standard Chartered Marathon; Winner of Malkia Awards in sports category; 3-time winner of BNP Paribas African qualifiers in wheelchair tennis team event.
- Nancy Chelangat Koech - 2016 Gold medalist in 1500m and 200m in Morocco; 2016 gold medalist in 1500 and 200m in Tunisia; 2016 Rio Paralympic games silver medalist in 1500m; 2019 bronze medalist in 1500m in Dubai World Athletic Championships; 2020 gold medalist in 1500m in Morocco; 2021 gold medalist in 1500m and 400m in Dubai; 2021 gold medalist in 400m in Tunisia; 2020 Tokyo, Japan Paralympic games bronze medalist in 1500m.
- Rose Tata Muya, OGW - Participated between 1974 – 1990 three Commonwealth games, three Olympic games, the World Athletics Championships, and 5 All-Africa Games; silver medalist in 1987; Former KPA sports officer; IAAF Coach level 2; IAAF, WMA athletics commission, AFMA stadia committee, AKM secretary and National Coordinator, heroes and heroines (sports).
- Stephen Kamande – In 2018 took part in the Nairobi Standard Chartered Marathon (position 110); Silver medalist in the 2016 World Masters Athletic Championships in Australia; 2-time gold medalist in half marathon and 10000m road race in World Athletic Masters championships in Spain. He is aged 70.
- Richard Juma Okayo - Participated in the 1968 Olympic games in 10,000M (7th position); Bronze medalist in 10000m in 1974 World Athletic Championships; Silver medalist in 1972 African Athletic championships; Gold medalist in 10000m in 1973 All-African Games in Zambia.
- Ruth Chepngetich - Current World Half Marathon champion; Former Half Marathon record holder 2021; an Olympian in marathon; 2019 Standard Chartered Dubai Marathon gold medalist.
- Humphrey Kayange - Rugby Sevens player; Winners (Singapore series, 2016); Competed in world Rugby Sevens series (2005-2016); Chair, Nock Athletes' Commission (4years); Executive Board member, Kenya Academy of sports (3years); Secretary-General Mwamba Rugby Football club (2years); World Rugby panel member (Player of the Year Awards); Rugby Afrique Performance Committee member; IOC Member of the Athletes' Commission (2021).
- Winnie Adoyo - Sports Sign language interpreter.
- Duncan Kuria - Represented Kenya in: Africa Zone 5 Championship in 1999, All-Africa games in 1999 (reached quarter finals), 2002 Pre-East Africa Boxing Championship (won Silver), Commonwealth Games as overall deputy captain and hit squad captain (reached quarter finals).
- Dennis Oliech - Recruited from Youth Football Ranking from Coca Cola under 17 years to the National youth team; Represented the country at Africa and World Qualifiers; Played professional football in Qatar and France. He is one of the most talented Kenyan players, popularly known as the ‘menace’.