Spot on Simba reach Super Cup final

Simba SC needed another post-match penalties to overcome a Kenyan side and it was Jonas Mkude that again delivered the decisive moment for the Tanzanian giants. Their 5-4 win over Kakamega Homeboyz saw them punch their Super Cup final ticket where they will meet either Gor Mahia FC or compatriots Singida United on Sunday at Nakuru’s Afraha Stadium. Simba had reached the semi-finals when they outshot Kariobangi Sharks 3-2 on penalties after the match had ended in a barren stalemate and that sequence of events repeated on Thursday as Mkude tucked away another cool winning spot-kick. Wycliffe Opondo was the villain for Homeboyz, failing to convert the fifth penalty for the home side after his teammates Allan Wanga, Benjamin Oketch, Noah Wafula and Eston Esiye had duly dispatched the opening four. Paul Nkata maintained the same side that defeated Yanga in the knockout stages and despite being forced off with an injury during the tie Allan Wanga was thrown straight to the starting line up against the Tanzanians. It was the Tanzanians who started faster off the blocks and within the first five minutes of the game, Rashid Mohamed surged forward from the left and into the box but his shot at goal was blocked by Hedmond Mauda. On the other end, Moses Mudavaidi had a great chance in the ninth minute when an in-swinging poorly taken corner by the Wekundu Wa Msimbazi found him unmarked at the far post but he could not orchestrate a counter attack despite only one defender marking him. Simba continued to dominate in terms of chances and three minutes later Juma Rashid was set up by Haruna Niyonzima , but his first time curling shot went straight to keeper Michael Wanyika. In a half hour mark speedy former Tusker forward Noah Wafula curled a well taken shot but went above the bar following a one two with Allan Wanga who has two goals in the tournament . In the dying moments of the first half Rwandese Niyozima tested Homeboyz custodian twice with Simba launching attack after another and largely dominating the tie with Juma,Yasin Muzamiru and Rashid Mohammed giving Nkata coached side defenders hard time. In the second half, the Kenyan top flier league side changed the tactics with Wafula switching position with Wanga and the tactical change nearly bore fruits when Wanga went close in the 50th minute but Shomari Kapombe denied them the chance. Moments later the two coaches opted for a change Nkata bringing in Wycliffe Opondo for Ali Bhai with Adam Salamba coming in for Juma Rashid for the visiting side two minutes later. Later on, Simba’s Erasto Nyoni was forced to come out following an injury in the 70th minute with Ibrahim Mohamed replacing him as the visitors went full throttle on attack. However, the pace of the game was hugely pedestrian and no meaningful chances were created. At the death though, Wafula almost won it for Kakamega with a shot at the near post but  Simba’s custodian Aishi Manula made a brilliant one handed save to turn the ball behind for a corner. Kakamega Starting XI: Michael Wanyika, Hedmond Mauda, Smith Ouko, Benjamin Oketch, Collins Kisuya, Moses Chikati, Estone Esiye, Moses Mudavadi, Ali Bhai, Noah Wafula, Allan Wanga. Subs: Arakaza Arthur, David Juma, Anekeya Wilson, Wycliffe Opondo, George Mandela, Mutuu Keiphas, Odiwuor George, Hassan Kiyoyo, Andrew Waiswa. Simba SC Starting XI: Aishi Manula, Shomari Kapombe, Hussein Mohammed, Paul Bukaba, Erasto Nyoni, Jonas Mkude, Shiza Kichuya, Yasin Muzamiru, Rashid Mohamed, Juma Rashid, Haruna Niyonzima, Subs: Salim Ali, Ali Shomari, Yusuf Mlipili, Ibrahim Mohamed, Marcel Kaheza, Moses Kitandu, Adam Salamba,

latest stories