Ngugi upbeat Kenya will reign supreme in EA Games
With the Term Two national school games competition which was held in Kisumu last week now on the back burner, focus shifts to the East Africa Games to be held from August 17-26 in Arusha, Tanzania and the Kenya Secondary Schools Sports Association (KSSSA) Secretary General David Ngugi is brimming with confidence Kenya will reign supreme.
Kenya is the overall defending champion after claiming 28 team medals; 10 gold, 8 silver and 10 bronze during last year’s showpiece held in Rwanda and Ngugi is upbeat Team Kenya will complete a hat-trick of titles – three successive ones in Arusha.
Uganda came a close second after bagging a total of 25; nine gold, 10 silver and six bronze while the hosts collected 16 medals with four of them gold, five silver and seven bronze.
According to Ngugi, Kenya’s contingent will converge at Olkejuado High School in Kajiado for two days from August 12-14 to acclimatise before flag off to the neighbouring country on August 15, two days before the action.
“Eyes are now on the East Africa games and all the teams that excelled during the just concluded national games have already hit the ground running as they fine tune their skills ahead of week-long event. We are ready to dominate again and I’m confident with the teams which we have selected,” he said.
The 18th edition of the annual championship will comprise of basketball, hockey, rugby 15s, rugby 7s, swimming, handball, cross-country, athletics, football, volleyball, netball and racket games.
By virtue of being defending champions in rugby 15s, rugby 7s, hockey and volleyball girls’, Kenya will send three teams in the disciplines.
Here is the full list of the Kenyan teams headed to Tanzania for the East Africa fiesta-
- Kakamega- Western Region
- Dagoretti- Nairobi region
- Kangaru School- Eastern Region
- Upper Hill- Nairobi region
- Laiser Hill- Rift Valley region
- St. Peters Mumias- Western region.
- St. Anthony’s Kitale- Rift Valley
- Friends School Kamusinga- Western Region
- Meru School- Eastern
- St. cecilia Misikhu- Western region
- st. John’s Girls- Coast Region
- Nyamira Girls- Nyanza Region
- Kirandich- Rift Valley region
- Moi Girls Kamusinga- Western Region
- St. Luke’s kimilili- Western Region
- Mbooni Boys- Eastern Region.
- Buru Buru- Nairobi Region
- Kaya Tiwi- Coast Region
- Laiser Hill Academy- Rift Valley region
- Dagoretti High school- Nairobi Region.
Football Under 20- Boys
1. St. Anthony’s- Rift Valley
2. Dagoreti- Nairobi
Football Under 20- Girls
1. Nyakach- Nyanza
2. Itigo- Rift Valley
3. Arch Bishop Njenga- Western
1. Kwanthanze- Eastern Region
2.Cheptil- Rift Valley
3.Soweto- Nairobi Region
1. Mogonga- Nyanza Region
2. Lelmokwo- Rift Valley
1. Kaya Tiwi- Coast Region
2.Nyakach- Nyanza Region