Gor Mahia set to unveil new players, FKF Shield cancelled
Gor Mahia FC players celebrates scoring against Bidco United FC during their FKF Premier League match at Machakos Stadium in machakos county on June 23, 2024. Gor Mahia won 4-3. Photo by Kelly Ayodi, Sportpicha
Audio By Vocalize
Gor Mahia will next week unveil five new
players ahead of the new season. Club chairman Ambrose Rachier says the players
will be part of the CAF Champions League campaign as well as the hunt for their
22nd league title.
‘’We are done with our
target signings and we intend to unveil the five players signed by next week.
The players will be part of the CAF Champions League as well as the local
league,’’ explained Rachier.
Sources indicate that Ugandan midfielder Chris Akena,
Congolese striker Dedeo Bendeka and former Nairobi City Stars attacker Samwel
Kapen have joined the record champions.
Ugandan Akena, 21, has signed a two-year-deal with Gor and
formerly featured for Greek side Apollon FC, while Congolese Bendeka , who has
also signed a two-year-deal previously played for Rwandese side Enticelles FC.
It is not very clear whether Gor has
also agreed on terms with Burundian shot-stopper Jonathan Nahimana, who has
left Namungo FC of Tanzania at the expiry of his contract.
Rachier had earlier on indicated that
they were in search of a mature goalkeeper to supplement the already swollen
talent between the sticks in the team.
Meanwhile, Rachier has explained
about the cancellation of the much awaited Football Kenya Federation (FKF) Shield
duel against Kenya Police FC. According to the chairman, FKF communicated to
the development citing unavailability of a suitable pitch.
‘’We received communication from
the Federation cancelling the match due to lack of a suitable pitch. The
Federation explained that all the available pitches will be occupied during the
CHAN competitions.’’
The Nyayo National Stadium is currently
under renovation ahead of the CHAN competitions to be staged in Nairobi
alongside other neighbouring countries' cities. Ulinzi Sports Complex and
Police Sacco Stadium will also be used as warm up pitches during the CHAN
Competitions.
The chairman says even their home league
matches will be affected by the situation at the moment, saying the Federation
has told them to consider looking for their preferred home ground ahead of the
new season.

Join the Discussion
Share your perspective with the Citizen Digital community.
No comments yet
This discussion is waiting for your voice. Be the first to share your thoughts!