Gor break Naivas resilience to advance

Gor break Naivas resilience to advance

Gor Mahia FC overcame an almighty first half scare against Division One side Naivas FC to win 3-2 and progress to the next of round of the FKF Shied on Sunday at the Moi International Sports Centre, Kasarani.

Naivas led twice and seemed to be on course to pulling an upset but were finally undone by the quality of their opposition with Boniface Omondi finding the winner deep in the second half to send Gor through.

Head coach Steven Pollack fielded a strong side with Ugandan hitman Juma Balinya leading the line. He had his first glance at goal as his headed effort sailed over the bar after a fine cross from Omondi.

After a dominant opening spell, Gor were caught cold when Michael Apudo conceded a penalty after fouling Kea Mohammed and Kingsley Owuor stepped up to dispatch it beyond goalkeeper Fredrick Onyango for the opener.

Balinya had another attempt on goal which was cleared off the line by Anthony Oduor. Naivas were working overtime to keep the dangerous Gor front four at bay with chief tormentor captain Kenneth Muguna pulling the strings.

Gor got their equalizer in sensational fashion, Dickson Ambundo’s well taken shot in the 39th minute finding the top corner.

One minute later, the minnows were back on top; Onyango mistiming the ball to allow Rashid Hassan to put away a simple finish.

Pollack made two quick fire substitutions early in the second half, bringing on Clifton Miheso and Samuel Onyango for Juma Balinya and Ambundo Dickson. The duo using their fierce Pace to devastating effect.

Midfild Dynamo Lawrence Juma brought Kogallo back on level terms as he danced his way past the opponent defenders before sending a low drive that beat the goalkeeper.

Naivas resorted to defensive tactics with Gor Mahia going in search for the winning goal. It was only a matter of time before it came albeit in painful circumstances for the shoppers.

Omondi Bonface found himself free in the 89 minute after a touchdown from Samuel Onyango. Just like the first two goals, his near post shot caught the keeper off guard sending the Kogallo faithful into a frenzy.

With the win, Gor will wait the draw for the Round of 16 to know their next opponents as they try to go for the treble having already bagged the KPL Super cup and still in the mix for the league title.