When Uhuru Kenyatta had to flee for a week to escape Moi’s wrath

When Uhuru Kenyatta had to flee for a week to escape Moi’s wrath

President Uhuru Kenyatta on Wednesday recounted a past incident where he was forced to go into hiding for about one week to avoid being reprimanded by the late former President Daniel arap Moi.

While he did not exactly reveal what he had done, President Kenyatta disclosed that Moi called him at 5am and knowing that he had done something wrong the previous day, he declined to pick the call and instead asked his wife Margaret to receive it.

Margaret obliged and told President Moi that her husband Uhuru Kenyatta was not around.

According to Kenyatta, Moi called again after five minutes and this time round he had no option but to personally pick the call after Margaret declined to receive it.

“After I received the call he asked me where I was and I told him I was in the shower. The conversation heated up before he (Moi) banged the phone on the other end and hanged up,” said Kenyatta.

He went further to reveal that after 10 minutes, Moi called back again for the third time and continued to lecture him, before summoning him to Kabarak.

“I apologised and said I would not repeat what I had done, but he ordered me to  immediately go to Nakuru and meet him before 7am,” said Kenyatta.

Scared of the repercussions, Kenyatta says he decided to flee for a week instead of going to face President Moi in Nakuru.

“After the call, I told myself only a fool knowingly gets himself in trouble. So I decided to go underground for one week until things cooled down,” said Kenyatta, adding that Moi later on forgave him for what he had done.

President Kenyatta, who was narrating the incident while addressing mourners at Moi’s burial in Kabarak, said he considered Moi as his personal mentor.

“I’m here to say Kwaheri to a man I considered my mentor, teacher and to say that truly we shall miss him. But the greatest gift we can give him is to continue to emulate his life in the things that we do everyday. May the Almighty God give this giant of Africa eternal rest and peace until we meet again,” concluded President Kenyatta.

Moi, who died on February 4, 2020 was laid to rest in a State burial at his home in Kabarak, Nakuru County.

latest stories