‘We are appealing to Kenyans to willingly come forward to be tested,’ MOH says
The Health Ministry is appealing to Kenyans to willingly come forward and be tested, particularly in areas where mass testing is underway.
On Sunday, Dr. Rashid Aman decried the low turnout in Nairobi’s Eastleigh and Kawangware areas.
“In the last two days, we have tested 803 against a target of 2000 in Kawangware and 494 in Eastleigh against a target of 3000,” the Health CAS said.
So far, 22 people from Kawangware have contracted the COVID-19 disease while 26 are from Eastleigh.
The two areas have reported the highest number of coronavirus cases in Nairobi County which has a total of 274.
According to the CAS, there are countries where people are begging to be tested, yet their governments are unable to do so.
“The Ministry of Health has acquired the testing capacity to undertake targeted testing, but the willingness to be tested is low,” Dr. Aman said.
He emphasised that Kenyans in target areas should present themselves to the testing teams to minimize risk of transmission.
The tests are being conducted free of charge.
“Experience has shown that countries that have managed to flatten their infection curve quickly have heavily relied on targeted testing,”Dr. Aman added.
In Mombasa, Governor Hassan Joho had threatened that residents of Old Town would be tested for coronavirus by force if they do not participate willingly.
This after only 131 people availed themselves for tests, three days after the exercise began: Old Town has a population of 28,000.
On Sunday, MOH announced that Mombasa had recorded the highest number of samples tested positive within 24 hours.
Mvita reported 15 cases, Kisauni three, and Likoni one bringing the total for Sunday to 19.
So far, Mombasa has a total of 148 cases of coronavirus.