TSC withdraws 6 teachers from Kitui school where teacher was killed, body burnt

TSC withdraws 6 teachers from Kitui school where teacher was killed, body burnt

The Teachers Service Commission (TSC) has now withdrawn all 6 teachers posted to Ndooni Primary School after one of their colleagues was killed and her body burnt to ash.

TSC, in a statement released on Thursday, condemned the gruesome murder of Daisy Mbathe Mbaluka following a protest by parents of the school over what they termed as poor performance.

TSC Director of Administrative Services Ibrahim Mumin, in the statement, further added that the commission would not post any teacher to the school until their security is assured.

“The Commission regrets the unfortunate death of the teacher and takes this opportunity to condole with her family, relatives, friends and pupils and teachers of Ndooni Primary School,” said Mr. Mumin.

“The Commission wishes to assure them that it is working with other government agencies to establish the circumstances under which the teacher met her death.”

Ms. Mbaluka was reportedly taking her children to school early Tuesday morning when she was ambushed by unknown individuals who hacked her to death before setting her body ablaze.

The killing, coincidentally, came a day after irate parents of Ndooni Primary School stormed the institution and reportedly attacked her as well as her colleagues demanding their transfer over poor results in last year’s KCPE examinations.

Kenya National Union of Teachers (KNUT) Secretary General Wilson Sossion on Wednesday urged the Ministry of Education and the Interior Ministry to offer security to teachers and school property “before the situation runs out of control.”

“For unknown reasons, parents invaded the school, evicted the teacher, and later ambushed her while she was taking her children to school, killing her instantly, and setting her body aflame,” said Sossion.

Two suspects — Wambua Mwangangi and Chris Kyalo Muli — suspected to have been part of a mob that killed the teacher have since been arrested and arraigned.

Kitui Resident Magistrate Felistus Nekesa granted an application by Mutito criminal detectives to detain the suspects at Mutitu Police Station for 21 days pending conclusion of investigations into the murder.

latest stories