State House: Intruder was shot after he drew a knife

State House: Intruder was shot after he drew a knife

State House has released a statement after an intruder was shot and injured on Monday evening.

According to Spokesperson Kanze Dena Mararo, the man identified as Brian Kibet Bera, climbed over one of the State House gates.

“(He) was shot and wounded on the left shoulder by officers manning the gate after he drew a knife when he was challenged to stop,” the spokesperson said on Tuesday.

According to her, the incident occurred at 4.05pm and the suspect was booked at Kileleshwa Police Station vide Ob No. 39 before he was taken to Kenyatta National Hospital for treatment.

Investigations are ongoing to establish the motive of the trespass and appropriate action will be taken upon conclusion, she added.

“State House is a designated protected area under the Protected Areas Act. For that reason no person is allowed access to the premise without the permission of the prescribed authority,” the statement reads.

According to the police report, the 25-year-old is a Mechanical Engineering student at Jomo Kenyatta University of Agriculture and Technology (JKUAT). He is currently in his 5th year.

This is not the first time that such an incident has occurred.

Two years ago, an intruder was shot dead after he gained unauthorised access into State House grounds.

There were conflicting reports on whether the man was armed or not. His body was moved to the City Mortuary and filed as ‘unknown man shot on Denis Pritt Road’, according to the Daily Nation.

It is not clear whether the body was ever claimed. The President was away at the time reportedly playing golf at Muthaiga Club.


The local daily further highlighted another incident in March 2016 where a man apparently jumped two fences and gained access into the State House compound.

29-year-old William Njuguna was arrested and charged with trespassing but was later freed. He was however found dead at Uhuru Park a few days later.

In October 2015, another man was arrested and charged after he gained access into State House grounds through an opening in the fence.

Kadhik Juma Walter told officers from the General Service Unit (GSU) who were on patrol that he sneaked in so he could find a place to sleep.

During the court proceedings, he told the judge that he had gained access several times and regularly slept on the football pitch.