Senator Hassan Omar campaign truck destroyed, petrol bombs found at scene
Police in Mombasa County have launched an investigation into a Friday, July 7 morning incident, where Senator Hassan Omar’s campaign truck was destroyed by unknown people.
Omar, who wants to unseat Governor Ali Joho in the August 8 General Election on a Wiper Party ticket, said the incident occurred 3:00 am Friday, when an unidentified group of youth hurled stones at his campaign truck, which had been parked outside his Renaissance Centre offices in Kizingo.
The youth went ahead to throw petrol bombs inside the truck, according to Omar.
“The petrol bombs, however, did not explode,” he said.
Police visited the scene Friday morning. No injuries were reported.
Senator Omar says he suspects the attack was orchestrated by his competitors in the race for Mombasa Governor so as to “scare” him. The Wiper Party Secretary General has vowed not to back down from the race, whatsoever.
“This attack was meant to prompt me into chickening out from the race for Mombasa governor. I am telling those people behind the attacks that their stunts are too small to scare me. I will continue campaigning for the governor’s seat, and I am confident I will clinch it come August 8,” said Hassan Omar.
Politicians from Mombasa County have urged elective seat contestants from the region to embrace peace during this electioneering period.
Omar will face off with Joho (ODM), Suleiman Shahbal (Jubilee) and Hezron Awiti (Vibrant Democratic Party).
Report by Asha Bekidusa