NYS scam suspects to be freed on bond as court declines DPP request
A court has declined to suspend the verification of securities before the release of the National Youth Service (NYS) scandal suspects.
Among them are Youth Affairs PS Lillian Omollo and NYS Director General Richard Ndubai.
“Should this court suspend the verification process then this court will be walking on dangerous path and may be cited for contempt of the High Court orders,” Magistrate Lawrence Mugambi said.
This comes a day after the Director of Public Prosecutions sought to have the suspects remain in remand prison.
The Director of Criminal Investigations (DCI) had been expected to verify securities of the accused persons before their release.
He was instructed to ensure all assets presented by the suspects for their release are valid and legitimately acquired.
However, Ms. Omollo’s lawyers objected to the application claiming the Assets Recovery Agency (ARA) is not a judicial organ.
“Nowhere did the court give direction that the ARA approve any sureity. The DPP does not dictate to this court,” the lawyer said.
Justice Hedwig Ong’undi on Tuesday released each of the 47 suspects on a bond of Sh5 million with a surety of Sh2 million.
They were further instructed to each deposit a cash bail of Ksh.1million.