New twist as DPP allowed to review manslaughter charges against lawyer Nyakundi
The case in which Lawyer Assa Nyakundi is accused of fatally shooting his son has taken a new twist after a Kiambu court on Thursday allowed the Office of the Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP) to review the charges.
Nyakundi, who is suspected of shooting and killing his son, Joseph Bogonko Nyakundi, was last week arraigned before Senior Principal Magistrate Bosibori Nyang’ena and charged with manslaughter.
He denied the charges and was released on a cash bail of Ksh.300,000 with an alternative of Ksh.1 million surety bond.
The DPP, however, filed an application for the withdrawal of the manslaughter charges, a request that has been granted by Senior Principal Magistrate Teresiah Nyongena.
The case on the review of the charges will be mentioned on May 10.
This comes after the Director of Criminal Investigations George Kinoti on Wednesday interdicted two police officers assigned to probe the killing of Lawyer Assa Nyakundi’s son.
According to Kinoti, the two senior officers alongside two prosecutors allegedly engaged in a “cover up” in a case where the city lawyer is suspected of shooting and killing his son last month.
Lawyer Nyakundi told police he shot his 29-year-old son on March 17, 2019 near his house. The deceased was buried on April 2 at the Lang’ata Cemetery.
Nyakundi had earlier told police he was trying to holster his firearm while in the car when he accidentally fired, shooting his son in the chest.
An autopsy report conducted on the body of Joseph Nyakundi indicated that the deceased could have been shot from outside the vehicle and not inside as first reported.