MP Oscar Sudi surrenders to police in Eldoret, airlifted to Nakuru for questioning

MP Oscar Sudi surrenders to police in Eldoret, airlifted to Nakuru for questioning

Kapseret Member of Parliament Oscar Sudi on Sunday finally surrendered to police ending a 48-hour standoff that saw two officers injured and five people arrested.

Sudi early Sunday morning presented himself to Langas Police Station in Eldoret in the company of his lawyer and Uasin Gishu Woman Representative Gladys Boss, Kimilili MP Didmus Barasa and Jubilee Party deputy Secretary General Caleb Kositany among others.

He was later transferred to the National Cohesion and Integration Commission (NCIC) regional offices in Nakuru for questioning and is expected to be arraigned in court on Monday.

Sudi, who briefly spoke to the press, said he did not receive any summoning before police officers stormed his home on Friday.

A team of police officers under the command of the Uasin Gishu County Police Commander and CCIO on Friday night conducted a raid at Sudi’s residence with the intention of arresting him over alleged hate speech remarks.

According to a police report seen by Citizen Digital, a standoff ensued after occupants of the residence refused to open the gate and a group of irate youth also placed barricades on the roads to prevent the officers from accessing the vocal MP’s home.

The police officers gained entry through the fence, during which one of them was injured with a panga on his right thumb by one of the civilians.

Gun shots were then reportedly fired from inside the compound and yet another officer sustained a gunshot wound on both his right and left shoulders.

“A search was conducted in the residence but unfortunately, the MP had already fled. On further search within the compound and the parking lot, a spent cartridge of 9mm, one for 7.62mm and a panga were recovered,” read the police account.

Among civilians who were arrested for interrogation include Victor K. Kibitok, Stephen Chege, James Kemboi Kemei, Jonathan Maritim Kosgei and David Birich Kipyego.

“The team left the residence at around 6:30am in pursue of the MP at his Elgon View Estate home and he was also not found,” added the report.

latest stories