Miguna cancels his planned return to Kenya

Miguna cancels his planned return to Kenya

Controversial lawyer Miguna Miguna will not be returning to Kenya on Wednesday, May 16.

This is after the Department of Immigration declined to issue him with a Kenyan passport and facilitate his unconditional re-entry into the country.

In a statement, Miguna on Wednesday said he had decided to postpone his return and instructed his legal team to seek legal redress over the alleged refusal by the Kenyan government to issue him with a travel document.

“I was determined to arrive home on schedule, however, just before my departure, I reluctantly cancelled my flight to Nairobi and postponed my next arrival date,” said Miguna.

“In view of the refusal by the Department of Immigration to issue me with a valid Kenyan passport and facilitate my unconditional re-entry into Kenya as ordered by the High Court and formally requested by the Kenya National Commission for Human Rights on my behalf, and on advice from legal counsel, I have instructed my advocates to immediately bring to the attention of the court the continued willful contempt of its orders.”

Miguna said he would announce his new return date as soon as the court gives further directions on the matter.

The government on Sunday reiterated its earlier position that Miguna is not a Kenyan citizen, hence, will only be allowed into the country using his valid Canadian passport.

In a letter to the Kenya National Commission on Human Rights, Immigration Principal Secretary Gordon Kihalangwa said Miguna must apply afresh to regain his Kenyan citizenship.

Kihalangwa said his department will not issue Miguna with a Kenyan Passport, since he has not applied for one.

The Immigration boss further insisted that the government will not purchase a flight ticket for the lawyer as demanded by his legal team, saying the court did not issue any order to that effect.

Miguna’s attempted entry into the country two months ago was marred with controversy after he was detained at the Jomo Kenyatta International Airport (JKIA) for several days after he failed to surrender his Canadian passport for stamping.

He would later be deported to Dubai via an Emirates plane and emerge online claiming that he was drugged before being ejected from the country.

A series of court cases against top security bosses bore no fruit leaving him with no other alternative but to head back to Canada where he has remained since then.