KPA says 4 staff members, three cleaners contracted coronavirus

KPA says 4 staff members, three cleaners contracted coronavirus

The Kenya Ports Authority has revealed seven cases of coronavirus since the outbreak of the disease in the country.

In a statement released on Tuesday, acting MD Rashid Salim said four of the cases involve KPA staff while three are contracted cleaners working at the port.

“Unfortunately, we have since lost two members of staff to the disease while all those who had contacts with the patients have been identified and are being monitored in quarantine within Mombasa,” he said.

According to the KPA boss, the rest of the patients are admitted to the Coast Provincial General hospital and are responding well to treatment.

He said the company has instituted several serious measures to control the spread of the virus at the port.

Aside from 107 hand washing points and sanitizer dispensers placed at all entry gates; buildings; offices and operation areas, KPA said staff are regularly issued with face masks.

“We now have screen notices at the port entrances especially at gate 24 which prompt everyone to wear a mask before entering the port compound,” the acting MD said.

He further noted that KPA has enabled online cargo documentation processes to enable customers to clear cargo electronically and decongest human traffic within the port.

Surgical gowns are also said to have been acquired for clinical staff and those with close interaction with vessels such as pilots, security officers among others.

Eng. Salim also stated that there are isolation rooms at Bandari Clinic where suspected patients are temporarily held waiting for public health officers to pick them up and more rooms are being prepared for this purpose.

“The management has also released staff above 58 years of age and those with pre-medical conditions to work from respective homes in order to avoid crowds at the workplace in line with the government circular,” he added.

His statement comes two days after it was reported that a 59-year-old man who died from coronavirus in Siaya was an employee at KPA.

The late James Oyugi had travelled from Mombasa to Siaya on April 5 and died five days later.