Kibra MP Ken Okoth’s body cremated at Kariokor

Kibra MP Ken Okoth’s body cremated at Kariokor

The body of the late Kibra Member of Parliament Ken Okoth has been cremated.

Okoth was cremated early Saturday morning at the Kariokor crematorium in Nairobi, despite a section of the family being opposed to the same.

Angelina Okoth, Ken Okoth’s mother was up until late friday evening inisting Okoth should be buried at her rural home at Kabondo Kasipul.

Early reports indicate that the body of Okoth left the Lee Funeral Home at about 1am for the crematorium.

In a statement to newsrooms, ODM Secretary General Edwin Sifuna said that the late Okoth was cremated in the presence of his family in accordance to his wishes.

“This is to let you know that Hon. Okoth’s remains have been cremated this morning in accordance with his wishes and in the presence of his family. I thank all of you for the support and patience in the course of this journey. May he Rest in peace,” read the statement.

This comes just hours after the family announced that the body of the late Okoth would not be flown to his maternal home in Kabondo Kasipul, Homa Bay as earlier planned.

Speaking at Milimani Law Courts on Friday after signing consent for the cremation to go on as planned, Sifuna cited logistical issues as reason for the change of plans.

Earlier, the body was to be transported to Kasipul Kabondo constituency on Saturday for a funeral service at Rateng’ Secondary School at 10am.

The paternal family of the late Kibra Member of Parliament Ken Okoth had opposed plans by his immediate family to cremate him at a private function on Saturday.

The family, addressing the media on Wednesday led by spokesman Raymond Mbai, maintained that the fallen MP deserved to be laid to rest next to the father’s grave at Amoso village in Kochia ward, Homa Bay County.

“In the Luo tradition, we have never heard that when somebody dies they are burnt; that is not our culture. We have never heard such a thing, so we have got no idea about that,” said Mr. Mbai.

The Kibra legislator succumbed to colorectal cancer on Friday last week at the Nairobi Hospital.