Kalonzo: Why I didn’t show up for anticipated oath

Kalonzo: Why I didn’t show up for anticipated oath

The National Super Alliance (Nasa) co-principal Kalonzo Musyoka says he did not intentionally rebuff a ‘swearing-in’ ceremony, which was initially planned to have him and Raila Odinga taking oath as the ‘people’s deputy president and president’ respectively.

Mr. Odinga took oath alone as the ‘president of the people’s republic’ on Tuesday, January 30 at Uhuru Park grounds, leaving thousands of Nasa supporters scratching their heads for answers on where Mr. Musyoka was when the former Prime Minister was being ‘sworn in’.

Mr. Musyoka, who has since absolved himself from blame, claims police blocked him from accessing Uhuru Park grounds, while Mr. Odinga “managed to evade the police dragnet as he did not spend Monday night at his Karen home”.

“I am cognizant of the anxiety Nasa supporters have after I failed to show up for the oathing ceremony, which saw Mr. Odinga being sworn in as the people’s president. I did not show up for the fete because of reasons now known to the public,” said Mr. Musyoka while addressing journalists in Nairobi on Tuesday night.

“On Monday night after we, Nasa principals, had met at a city establishment, Raila deemed it wise not to spend the night at his Karen home. On my side, I proceeded to my home in Karen, where I spent the night.”


“On Tuesday morning, security officers attached to me were asked to leave their designations. My security personnel in Nairobi and my rural home in Tseikuru were all taken away. I deemed that to be a subtle threat directed at me. My bodyguards, who follow me to every function; – and are always with me in my car –, were also deployed elsewhere and threatened that should they be seen with me, they will get the sack.

“I was alone throughout Tuesday morning.  At around 11am, journalists came to my house, where I addressed them. At that time, Bungoma Senator Moses Wetangula, Raila Odinga, Musalia Mudavadi and I had already communicated on how we’d link up and proceed to Uhuru Park.

“Wetangula, Mudavadi and I did not make it to Uhuru Park because we’d been detained in an undisclosed room in the city. That’s what happened.


“In short, I am ready to take oath at the right time. I would want Kenyans to know that we are people whose resolve is not easily shaken. I urge Kenyan online publishers to refrain from uploading content that risks disintegrating Nasa. We, as Nasa principals, are a close-knit family,” said the Wiper Party leader.

The conspicuous absence of the three Nasa leaders – Kalonzo, Mudavadi and Wetangula – at Uhuru Park raised eyebrows on social media, with a section of Nasa rooters accusing the trio of cowardice.

The three would, a few hours after Mr. Odinga’s ‘oath’, release a joint statement, assuring the Nasa supporters of “unity” among them (principals) despite pulling a no-show at Mr. Odinga’s ‘big day’.

“…due to circumstances beyond our comprehension and control, the four of us (Raila, Kalonzo, Mudavadi and Wetangula) did not assemble (at Uhuru Park) as planned,” read the statement in part.

After taking his oath at 2:45pm on Tuesday, Mr. Odinga assured Nasa supporters that Mr. Musyoka “will take oath as the people’s deputy president at a later date”, and reasons behind their absence from Uhuru Park “shall be disclosed soon”.