Italy emergency workers continue to search for possible survivors

Italy emergency workers continue to search for possible survivors

Emergency workers continued to search on Sunday (January 22) for 23 people still unaccounted for after an avalanche engulfed their hotel in central Italy.

Major Marco Amoriello said that the weather was hindering their efforts but they were determined to continue their work until everyone was found.

“As you can see it’s really difficult but we will carry on working as quickly as we possibly can,” said Amoriello.

“Unfortunately the weather isn’t good and the forecast for the next few days isn’t good, but we certainly won’t be stopping because of that,” he said.

A total of nine people were pulled alive from the rubble of the Hotel Rigopiano demolished by the avalanche on Wednesday (January 18) as well as five bodies.

All nine survivors were reported to be in good condition and were recovering in hospital in nearby Pescara. One required surgery, hospital director Rossano Di Luzio said.

The avalanche came hours after a series of strong tremors struck the area, which was devastated by deadly quakes last year, and had been grappling with heavy snowfall.