How most wanted terrorist Baghdadi killed himself before U.S. capture

How most wanted terrorist Baghdadi killed himself before U.S. capture

On Sunday morning, US President Donald Trump announced that the US forces had managed to kill world’s number one terrorist leader, Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi.

Baghdadi, an ISIS leader has been for long been placed among the most wanted terrorists by the US government.

Making the announcement through a televised address at the White House, President Donald Trump revealed that Baghdadi killed himself when he was cornered by US forces, adding that he had died ‘like a dog’.

CNN reported that ISIS Baghdadi blew himself up when cornered by US forces who conducted a daring, two-hour nighttime raid on his compound in northern Syria, marking  the end of a years-long hunt to find one of the most wanted terrorists in the world.

According to US President Donald Trump, the covert operation started  on Saturday evening with helicopters carrying teams of elite US troops flying to the very dangerous territory, where they met with local gunfire but the US aircraft returned fire and eliminated the threat.

A booby trap placed at the entrance was breached and the US forces killed many of ISIS fighters during a gun battle while clearing the compound, which saw  two ISIS fighters  captured and 11 children  taken into custody. Two of Baghdadi’s wives were also killed during the operation and their suicide vests did not explode.

Trump further reported that Baghdadi, who was also wearing a suicide vest, took refuge in a dead end  tunnel with three children.

“He reached the end of the tunnel, as our dogs chased him down. He ignited his vest, killing himself and the three children. His body was mutilated by the blast. The tunnel had caved in on it in addition.”

According to CNN, DNA tests that positively confirmed Baghdadi’s identity began about 15 minutes after he was killed and US teams on the ground brought body parts back.

Speaking to reporters, Trump said Baghdadi had been under surveillance for a couple of weeks, and that two to three planned missions were scrapped before the successful one was launched.

“We knew a little bit about where he was going, where he was heading. We had very good information that he was going to another location. He didn’t go. Two or three efforts were canceled because he decided to change his mind, constantly changing his mind. And finally we saw that he was here, held up here,” CNN reported.