Court orders re-opening of late Mercy Keino’s case

Court orders re-opening of late Mercy Keino’s case

The Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP) Keriako Tobiko has asked the court to re-open an enquiry into slain University of Nairobi student Mercy Keino, claiming crucial evidence was tampered with during the hearing process.

Chief Magistrate Daniel Ogembo directed Senior Principal Magistrate Peter Ndwiga, who was handling the murder inquest and had been transferred to a different station, be recalled to hear the application since he is conversant with the case.

The DPP claims he has found fresh evidence that he believes might affect the outcome of the case.

This comes months after the late Mercy Keino case was closed and was awaiting judgement.

Keino’s body was found on Waiyaki Way in Nairobi on June 2011, with witnesses in the inquest claiming she had an altercation with Kiambu Governor and the then Juja Member of Parliament William Kabogo prior to her death.

The case will be mentioned on December 11th.

In 2012, an inquest was told that Mr. Kabogo slapped Ms. Keino before she stormed out of a party and subsequently met her death.

Scolastica Namwai Kamemba, Keino’s friend, was the last person to see the University of Nairobi student alive on the fateful night of June 17th, 2011.

Kamemba told the inquest that the MP got annoyed when Keino started shouting and moving about the Wasini Luxury Homes where the party was being held and broke some glasses after taking too much wine.

“He slapped her several times,” stated Kamemba.

“Mr. Kabogo started slapping her while asking who had brought her to the party. Mercy got very scared and wanted to run away but some security officers and the MP’s bodyguards grabbed her and took her to the gate.”

She followed Keino to the gate and tried to calm her down, but she ran towards Waiyaki Way in Westlands.

Kamemba said the MP’s bodyguards agreed to help her bring back Keino.

They followed the student and found her standing in the middle of the road.

When they got back to Wasini Luxury Homes, the security guards denied them entry and they sat on the pavement.

Kamemba said she then tried to ask Keino for her phone to call her boyfriend, but she shoved her aside and took off.

And that was the last time she saw her friend alive.

Kamemba testified that she returned to the party and that when she asked Kabogo to assist her trace where Keino had run to; he refused, saying he was fed up with her behaviour.

The MP allegedly told her to board a pick-up to drop her home. She then called Keino’s boyfriend, but he said they would look for her the next day if she did not find her way back to the hostels.

Keino did not show up and the next day they looked for her at three police stations but did not find her.

Their search ended at City Mortuary where they found her body.

Asked if she knew what killed her friend, Kamemba said that they were told by a doctor who did the post-mortem examination that a vehicle ran over her.

latest stories