Court orders Gov’t to allow Miguna Miguna entry into Kenya tomorrow

Court orders Gov’t to allow Miguna Miguna entry into Kenya tomorrow

The High Court has issued fresh orders directing the government to facilitate the entry of lawyer Miguna Miguna back to the country on Tuesday, January 7.

Issuing the orders on Monday, Justice Weldon Korir further directed that Miguna’s Kenyan passport currently under the custody of the registrar of the Court be released.

“An order be and is hereby issued, that pending and following the inter-partes hearing of the Application, compelling the Respondents to facilitate entry of the Petitioner into Kenya on January 7, 2020 or any other date appointed by the Petitioner on the basis of his identification through the use of his National Identity Card, or his Kenya Passport in the form and state it was delivered by the Respondents to the High Court Registry pursuant to this Court’s Order,” reads court papers.

The court has further provided Miguna’s lawyer Dr. John Khaminwa, together with Kenya National Commission on Human Rights (KNCHR) unhindered access to Miguna upon his landing at JKIA.

Miguna announced last week that he had began his journey to return home more than a year after he was deported.

The fire-brand lawyer, on his Twitter handle, said he already left Canada and will be making several stop overs before taking his final flight to Nairobi on Tuesday.

According to Miguna’s schedule, his flight will touch down at the Jomo Kenyatta International Airport (JKIA)  minutes after 9pm on Tuesday.

His lawyer Dr. John Khaminwa insists that the Immigration Department must allow Miguna into the country in compliance with court orders.

The government has previously defied court orders directing it to facilitate Miguna’s return into the country and it now remains to be seen how things will unfold tomorrow.

Miguna’s last attempt to regain entry into the country in March 2018 degenerated into high drama after he was detained at the JKIA for several days on allegations that he had failed to surrender his Canadian passport for stamping.

He would later be deported to Dubai via an Emirates plane before later emerging to reveal he was “sedated, handcuffed and taken away.”