Court detains three men for taking pictures of Villa Rosa Kempinski Hotel
A Nairobi court has detained three men accused of taking pictures of Villa Rosa Kempiski Hotel for five days.
The three; Abdi Mohammed Guled, Ibrahim Mohammed Guled and Mohammed Bashi Aden are currently being investigated for conspiracy to commit a terrorist act and allegedly being a member of a terrorist group.
According to court papers, the three were arrested on August 11,2019 at Villa Rosa Kempinski Hotel in Nairobi County by ATPU officers.
It is alleged that during the arrest, they were in possession of several items including Kenyan ID cards, mobile phones and electronic gadgets which police have forwarded to ATPU laboratories for forensic analysis.
In an affidavit filed in court by Sergeant Joseph Mwiti, attached to Anti-Terrorism Police Unit (ATPU), the court heard that the said suspects were arrested on suspicion of carrying out surveillance at the Villa Rosa Kempinski Hotel for purposes of carrying out a terrorist attack.
“That the respondents were covertly taking photographs at the Villa Rosa Kempinski Hotel and when questioned on the same they did not give an explanations as to why they were taking photographs of the hotel,” said Mwiti.
The investigating officer further said that they require details of all the persons that the suspects have been communicating with both in Kenya and outside, their digital prints trail for forensic examination as well time to examine their social media accounts.
Further, the court was told that intelligence reports so far received showed that the three suspects have other associates who are still at large.
“There is need to carry out detailed interviews with the respondents and their associates once arrested with a view of finding out their co-conspirators,” said officer Mwiti.
Terrorism and related offences which include conspiracy to commit a terrorism act or being a member of a terrorist group attracts a sentence of a term not exceeding 20 years and 30 years respectively.
While seeking to have them detained, Mwiti urged the court not to grant the suspects bail pending the probe saying that they are a flight risk.
He further urged the court to take judicial notice of terror attacks which have previously occurred in the country leading to many deaths of Kenyans and foreigners and leading to great anger and apprehension.
“That based on the pending investigations and several leads being followed up by our team of investigators. We require five days to pursue detailed investigations,” said Mwiti.